Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

do you give your children chores? if so what kind of chores do you give them to do?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 20 Replies
I give my oldest daughter's chores. She picks up everything in the livingroom, her room and her bathroom. My baby is just starting to learn to pick up behind herself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle17T
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM
My sons 4 his chores r to brush his teeth, pick up toys,put shoes away& put dirty clothes in the hamper! He gets McDonald's every other weekend if everything is done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Mostly what we tell them to do.  Clean up after themselves, scoop cat boxes, bring me dirty clothes and put away clean clothes or whatever else comes to mind.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Stephielwood
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM
My oldest Ryan is 11. Ryan loads and unloads the dishes, takes out the trash, cleans up the living room, cleans his room and helps with laundry. My youngest Jake is 2. He helps me with my chores, laundry, vacuuming, and dusting.. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadsW
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM
My 5.5 year old's chores are: Feed his fish, make his bed, wipe down the table after lunch, wipe down the bathroom sink after brushing, and put his toys away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yes, my four year old has his personal responsibilities, which are cleaning his messes up, putting toys away, putting clothes where they belong, etc., and he has his chores, which are to set the table before dinner, wipe down the table after dinner, collect all of the bathroom garbage bags and put them in the main garbage bag, feed the pets (with supervision), put dishes away after they are cleaned three times a week, helping seperating laundry and putting it in the room of whom it belongs to, and vacuuming once a week. His chores never take more then half an hour a day added up, they dont get in the way of him being a kid and they teach responsibility.

uriahadel
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I so agree! I am now trying to teach my dd who is five turning six in august to put her clothes away. Of course I fold them, but she has got to put them in her dresser.

I am trying to figure out whether I should give her more chores or wait til she is older, because right now all she is really doing is picking up behind herself and helping me keep the living room cleaned... she is my oldest, and I want to teach her responsibility but also don't want to put too much on her for her age

Quoting LucyHarper:

Yes, my four year old has his personal responsibilities, which are cleaning his messes up, putting toys away, putting clothes where they belong, etc., and he has his chores, which are to set the table before dinner, wipe down the table after dinner, collect all of the bathroom garbage bags and put them in the main garbage bag, feed the pets (with supervision), put dishes away after they are cleaned three times a week, helping seperating laundry and putting it in the room of whom it belongs to, and vacuuming once a week. His chores never take more then half an hour a day added up, they dont get in the way of him being a kid and they teach responsibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM
It is good to see I am not the only parent on here who gives my kids chores... some people think I am just being lazy for making her do chores but I do so much more because I am the mom and it is my responsibility to take care of my family.

I just know I was raised that way. We had chores and there were six of us. I never thought my mom did anything until I became a parent lol, and she also homeschooled us, but she taught me a lot , and I would like to think I am a better parent for that. But it is just good to know there are others out there like me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Weddle
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM
My 11 yr old does trash and vacuums and clean behind herself. My 9 yr old does clothes and puts them away and cleans behind herself. My 7 yr old now does dishes and has to put them away. Plus clean after herself. And they all share cleaning there room and bathroom..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Yep. My kids are 5 and 2 and all of their messes must be picked up before dinner. My 5 year old gets chores like collecting the eggs, letting the sheep out, unloading the dishwasher, vaccuming the rug, feeding his gecko, pulling weeds in the garden, sweeping floors, switching/sorting laundry, taking out the compost, collecting all of the dirty clothes, pulling his sheets off to be washed, etc. Nothing is set. I believe he should help but I also believe in teaching him a variety of skills. He can do a wide variety of chores and just does the ones I ask.
my 2 year old gets chores like helping unload the dishwasher, putting dirty clothes in the hamper, putting the shoes away, putting the Dvds back on the shelf, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
This is kinda looney but I have special needs kids. I walk into the room holding up a dollar and I say whoever cleans this room the most gets the dollar. My oldest and youngest get to it...my middle one just sits there (but he doesnt get it). And hey, the room gets clean. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)