Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

my son snores

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi.  I have a 7 year old son (he will be 8 in a few months) and he snores.  Is this something I should get checked out?  opinions please and thank you :)

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blaquechinadoll
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Try those snoring strips that opens up nostrils. But do have his adenoids checked as well especially if his snoring is unusually loud, if he is still tired or hard to wake up in the mornings, or if his breathing is labored ( due to allergies or asthma).
Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Couldn't hurt to have him checked.  If he does need his tonsils out or something similar, it's a lot less painful now, than as an adult.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I agree. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quoting Poosaloosa:

Couldn't hurt to have him checked.  If he does need his tonsils out or something similar, it's a lot less painful now, than as an adult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
htreveth
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes. Could be his adenoids. Sleep apnea could be an issue as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chamann
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
My son snored like crazy. He also has asthma so his Dr ordered a sleep test. He ended up having sleep apnea and needed his tonsils and adenoids out. He had HUGE adenoids! He still has a slight snore but sleeps a lot better. Does your son toss and turn in his sleep? That can be a sign of apnea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Definately get it checked.  My daughter snored from infancy and hardly slept we had her checked at 2 yrs old and wanted to wait until she was 4 to have her HUGE adenoids removed. Wish we would have gone to a doctor who would have done the tonsils at the same time but so far she has been fine.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM

My dd had a snoring problem since she was a baby.It got to the point where she would start choking and coughing in the middle of the night and she would wake herself up.We had her allergy tested and had her adnoids checked (by a nasal cavity xray) at 4 years,10 months old..Her adnoids were 50% enlarged.She had them removed shortly after she turned 5.She still snores lightly sometimes but its not as bad as it used to be.

in love                           blowing bubbles               puppy

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03            Jonas 08.28.10

karamichele76
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

no, he seems to sleep really sound.  He isn't tired in the morning either or hard to wake.  No asthma.  His adnoids may be large, I can see his lymph nodes really well on his neck.  The thing that stinks is that I JUST took him for his physical last week and didn't think to ask about the snoring then.  UGH,....figures.

karamichele76
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I appreciate the advice.  I will have him checked.

MommyJDTJ
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:20 PM
My almost 5 year old snores sometimes too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)