Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you only wanted to spend $10,000

Posted by   + Show Post
On a car, what would you buy?

I'm thinking a 2008ish VW Jetta
A 2008ish Toyota Corolla or maybe a 2009ish Honda Fit. I'm open to some other suggestions too. My requirements are: 4 doors, reliable, MPG and has to not look like an old lady car! I LOVE the new 2012 Acura ILX but I don't have that kind of cash lying around and I DO NOT want a payment!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I would avoid the Jetta. Toyotas and Hondas are reliable.

deccaf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I had a 2006 Jetta.  When they say safety features, they mean it.  I got in a wreck that totalled the car, but I walked away.  The other guy left in an ambulance.  I would go with a Jetta for that reason alone.

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I just paid right at ten for my 2006 Magnum.  I really don't care for imports,but each his own.

mollyk124
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM

This is a Honda Fit, FYI.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollyk124
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Are jettas unreliable?

Quoting Lindalou907:

I would avoid the Jetta. Toyotas and Hondas are reliable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoplarGrove
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I'd go with the VW.  I've owned a couple VWs and those suckers don't die.  My last one I had gotten as a student for cheap because the body hadn't been taken care of so it was rusting.  8 years later I ended up selling it for MORE than I had payed for it for all the under the hood component. It was in an accident where my ex was t-boned at 80 km/h (driver side) The two side doors wouldn't open. the handles were crushed into the body but he didn't have a scratch on him, a small bruise on his elbow where the door slighly went in.  The police couldn't believe the other driver was going so fast based on the damage (until you saw the other guys car that was shrivelled up like tin foil)  So that's my long story of why I'd choose a VW.  they're built like tanks and they're pretty.  

WackadooMom
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
My hubby had a Paseo too with over 200k in it. He only paid $35 for it and fixed it up. He LOVED that car. I think he still misses it sometimes lol.

Quoting elzmnsf:

Toyotas are usually a good choice and last a long time. I had a paseo that was at nearly 200000 miles when I got rid of it and it ran great still!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Toyota or Honda

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Quoting mollyk124:

My friend had a Jetta and she hated it. She bought it brand new and had nothing but problem with it.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM
We have a Honda CRV and it's very reliable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN