Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for Bedtime Advice! (Daughter won't stay in her own bed through the nite)

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am looking for advice! My daughter is 3 1/2 years old, goes to bed between 8:30 and 9pmish, and does not nap any longer. We finally have her going to bed in her OWN toddler bed but like clockwork, almost EVERY night, she wakes between 2-4am, and ends up in OUR bed. Granted, my husband and I are so tired that we don't fight it and I realize we probably should be. ANY suggestions to our situation would be VERY welcome! Thank you!!
-Melissa (Mom of Victoria)

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaymak27
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
U can try giving her a warm bath be4 bed that would always help my 4 yr old to sleep, or try giving her some warm milk to drink that migh help her to sleep all night...good luck:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Try putting her back into her own bed and maybe staying in there with her til she falls back to sleep...or maybe a night light...Good luck

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids did that too,I would just put them back in their own bed EVERY TIME,mostly because I couldn't sleep with them in there. Be sure to talk up how proud you are of her for sleeping in her own bed every morning and brag about her when she can hear you.

sheri305
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shaybay218:

Try putting her back into her own bed and maybe staying in there with her til she falls back to sleep...or maybe a night light...Good luck

mommymimi2008
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thank you for all your advice!  It seems putting her back in her bed is the best way to beat this!!!  Thanks!!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I agree.

Quoting Shaybay218:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyloveee
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I have the exact problem. My 4 year old has slept with me since the day she was born. Now that she is a big girl and she has her own room again (we were rooming with my mom for close to a year), breaking the "sleeping with mom" habit has been pretty rough. And the harder part is, my SO sleeps on the couch in the living room because he has a serious snoring problem so he ends up waking her up in the middle of the night and she ends up in my bed. I can't blame her though, her room is closer to the living room than my bedroom. I can't blame her for waking up and wanting to be further away from the horrible sounds of his snoring. o . O

NEPhillyRN
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM

its a pain, but you have to put her back to bed every time... no conversation, no stories, no playing... hug/kiss and good night.  My kids got the idea after a few nights. It also may be helpful to find out what is waking her every night. Does she have to pee? fluid restriction before bedtime helps... is there a train going by? maybe a radio/CD player on repeat would help.

Good luck!

gamomof3cuties
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Duct tape.......................or shutting her bedroom door so she cant get out.

PeachySweet2007
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM
She's doing it because she can....you'll have to do the work of putting her back into bed, even though you're tired and don't want to get up several times. It will be a short process though. Just accept that you are giving up a couple of nights sleep to gain many more in the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)