Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I hate it when people say......

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you ever hear a certain saying or something that just grates on your nerves?

Let me give you an example.  I work on Sundays, yes it's Sunday, most people don't like working on Sunday, but I LOVE it.  At my company it's a privilege.  There are no managers, we are allowed to dress casually, there is almost no work to do, we are there "in case" something happens.  Which it rarely does.  We get paid a lot of money to sit and watch movies, read, play games or whatever we want to do.  And I work 6-2:30 so I get home with plenty of day left to still do things.  Even go to church, we go at 3:30.   

Anyways, the new summer hires started and they are always expected to work the shifts no one wants. Which they hate. Like the late shift and the Saturday shift, Saturdays we are open and busy.  They are told when hired what hours we are open for business and that they could be scheduled a shift for any of those hours which is 7 days a week 6 AM to 7 PM.   I have Friday and Saturday off, and I also train new hires.  Sometimes during training they are expected to work Sunday with me.  So they can be trained, it's usually one Sunday, two tops. Honestly the only reason I would have a trainee working 2 Sundays with me is if they weren't getting it, and it would probably be their last chance before being let go. Anyways I always get one or two out of every class that when I tell them I work Sunday, or that they have to work some evenings, they say,

"I can't work that shift, I have a life."  this infuriates me.  I understand if you have things you like and want, even need to do on Sunday, and I understand not being able to work on Sunday.  But insinuating someone who works on Sunday doesn't have a life pisses me off to no end!  I have a husband and a child, and friends, and hobbies, and family, and obligations, wait, I HAVE A LIFE TOO!!!!! And you took a job KNOWING you might have to work that shift!!!!  Why did you lie on the application and say you COULD work these shifts, and now are making a fuss?!?!  Ok end vent.

Are there sayings that make you cringe?

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

As a mother of 5 - I hear the /usual/ crap --

Don't you know what causes that?
Better you than me.
Aren't there enough people in the world?
You must be busy!
....etc

I hate them ALL! 

Threes.Company
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

"I can't work that shift, I have a life."  Really?  Because you can't have much of a life if you don't have a job...  Just sayin'.  I am surprised in this economy that ANYONE who is newly hired would make such a comment, considering how many people desperately need work and cannot find it.  What an ignorant comment to make.  Geez, could they be any more undeserving?

I don't know if I can think of any...  I know there are sayings that annoy me.  I usually get annoyed (or roll my eyes) when I hear someone make a condescending remark about SAHM life being "easy" or suggesting that all I do is sit around watching TV, eating snacks (while my kids run amok and the laundry/chores/cooking all do themselves, apparently).  Being a working mom is hard, don't get me wrong -- I've done that, too.  But being a SAHM is not "easy".

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM
7 moms liked this

Another saying that makes me want to pull my hair out is

"Boys will be boys"

because I have only ever heard people use that expression while dismissing their son's HORRIBLE behavior.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Agreed

Quoting TableforSeven:

"Boys will be boys"

because I have only ever heard people use that expression while dismissing their son's HORRIBLE behavior.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM
And ive had people say it to me to try to stop me from disciplining my son!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Agreed

Quoting TableforSeven:

"Boys will be boys"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My all time favorite is "Well You Have Your Hands Full" meanwhile I only have 2 kids and they are pretty well behaved.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Oh yeah I can't stand that one either.

Quoting TableforSeven:

"Boys will be boys"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mykidsmom75067
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM
10 moms liked this
My pet peeve is when people see our house/car/anything of value that we own and say "It must be nice" or "You sure are lucky". I just want to say "Yes, it is nice and no, we are not "lucky". My husband and I work our asses off to have the things we have".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenJen285
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes that bugs me too. I can't stand when people say wow you have your hands full don't you? Anytime I'm out with all of the kids.

Quoting mykidsmom75067:

My pet peeve is when people see our house/car/anything of value that we own and say "It must be nice" or "You sure are lucky". I just want to say "Yes, it is nice and no, we are not "lucky". My husband and I work our asses off to have the things we have".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM
8 moms liked this
I hate when people call their boyfriends their husbands
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)