Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need project ideas

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

My kids and I were at Jo-Anns a while back and we found these on half off of the clearance price.  We have been slowly doing these projects and loving it!  

My 2 year old daughter picked this doll house.  It's cardboard and was marked down from $30 to $4.  We have a LONG ways to go on it.  It still has furnture, people, etc.  All we have done is started coloring the base lol

The base is a lot bigger than this.  It's folded up behind it right now.

My 5 year old son picked this...

I'm SHOCKED at how well this turned out.  Usually painting and my son turns out more with paint on the ceiling and him bouncing off of the walls (suspected sensory issues, still seeking a diagnosis).  He doesn't follow directions doing projects well and he had to leave his hand in a bucket of forming goo for 7 minutes completely still to do this project.  It has been SO good for him and it was great to spend the time with him.  We still have to varnish it but any ideas of a project we can do after this one?  Something we can pull out and work on a few minutes each and every day would be best :)

He's so proud of this.  He's asked me to put it up with his trophies but to make sure he can't reach it because he doesn't want to break it when he has a meltdown.  

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Oh, and this is his new guinea pig Abendago.  He does awesome with the responsibility of caring for animals.  He is usually the one who lets the sheep out of their pen, lets the dogs out, lets the chickens out, gets the eggs, put all of the animals back in, waters the animals, feeds them, etc.  He is also responsible for care of his gecko.  He helps me clean all of the cages and such as well.

Any ideas for something we can make Abendago?

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I like the idea and the accomplishments! Art is so important, yet with budget cuts, art (along with music, P.E., social studies, and even science) are being eliminated. According to the those who run education (unfortunately it is not the teachers who are in the classrooms) art cannot be measured by standardized and high-stake examinations, so it is not beneficial. By looking at your two pictures, I can see lessons on math, science, history, English, and of course, art. Or you can just these things to keep them busy. Kudos.

Your children are blessed to have a mother like you who appreciate and see the importance of letting her children express their creativity through other means.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Awww... thanks :)  We homeschool so there's no budget cuts affecting art and PE here!  

I think I came up with an idea for DS.  We had started an "adventure book" where we go do things and take pictures.  I get them printed and we scrapbook them.  He loved doing it so he's excited to start again :)

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

I like the idea and the accomplishments! Art is so important, yet with budget cuts, art (along with music, P.E., social studies, and even science) are being eliminated. According to the those who run education (unfortunately it is not the teachers who are in the classrooms) art cannot be measured by standardized and high-stake examinations, so it is not beneficial. By looking at your two pictures, I can see lessons on math, science, history, English, and of course, art. Or you can just these things to keep them busy. Kudos.

Your children are blessed to have a mother like you who appreciate and see the importance of letting her children express their creativity through other means.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN