Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if your 9 year old son

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM
  • 34 Replies

broke the screen his one month old iPod touch in a fit of frustration by throwing it?  Fix it and put it away until he is a bit older (very expensive)?  Take it away for good (maybe try to sell it or something). Or something else?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mcelly
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM
They sell a case that helps avoid breakage. It's rubber around. I can't remember what is called, but they sell it at bestbuy. I have one for my 3 year old. So far, so good.
NMA1331
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM
6 moms liked this

I'd get rid of it      He's old enough to have better control of his actions   doesn't matter the cost of the object he shouldn't be destructive

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't give it back. I know what pp is talking about, we have an otter box for ours. Very helpful but he should have been more careful. Nine year olds know better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobJar
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM
6 moms liked this
My son did that as well. I wouldn't fix it. I made him find out how much it was gonna cost to repair it and I made him earn the money for the repair. I also made him provide me with gas money when he saved up the money to get it fixed. It was a 25 dollar fix at our local RC shop here in town. Since then he's learned his lesson.

Also after that we did go and talk to our doctor about his 'rages'. My DS went to a few sessions with a child theropist and they discussed ways to channel his anger. He's always had a temper, but now he says. I need a min. He goes sits on his bed and counts to 100 or 500 or 1 million. Whichever till he is calm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Make him pay for the repair. Amazon sells a $20 kit btw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I would put it away and tekl him if he wants it back, he has to do extra chores to make the money to reimburse you the cost of it. Maybe he will be more careful if itis his effort that paid for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollyk124
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM
He has a kid-proof case.

Quoting Mcelly:

They sell a case that helps avoid breakage. It's rubber around. I can't remember what is called, but they sell it at bestbuy. I have one for my 3 year old. So far, so good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollyk124
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM
That's awesome! I thought it would be $100!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Hubby broke his so that's how I know lol

Quoting mollyk124:

That's awesome! I thought it would be $100!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacksMom1221
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with pp's, chores to pay to fix it. Next time he breaks it, take it away for 6 months. Third time, three strikes it's gone. Yes, he's old enough to know better, but still young enough that he's impulsive and acts before he thinks sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)