Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need some help with meal planning............

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

We are really tight on money this week, and can't do any more grocery shopping until next Friday. Kroger had a great week as far as sale items are concerned, so we have plenty of meat, and veggies, and a bag of peaches, along with yogurt. So I have plenty for lunches and dinners. But I am not sure how to stretch food for breakfasts. We have some eggs, half a box of one kind of cereal, and about that much of another cereal. Then we have one package of sausage links. There are five of us, and the kids also like cheerios for snacks, so it won't last too long. I also have some flour, with which I could make whole-wheat pancakes, waffles, etc. but I want to save some of it in case I have to make another loaf of sandwich bread. So, any ideas?

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Sorry I am of no help. My kids like to eat oatmeal for breaksfast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindilouwho82
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Im not trying to make you or anyone feel uncomfortable but I would go get a food box. They usually have a few essentials cereal, bread, canned goods and some other goodies. It's not the best quality but it will suffice for the next week and it's not as if you are taking advantage of a situation; if I had no funds to go grocery shopping til next week I would explore my options. Seven days is a long time to wait, a lot can happen in seven days and I have been in tricky situations that have left me counting nickels for milk. Good luck!

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM

can you buy more flour?

kim8934
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

for breakfast, make egg bake, that will stretch your eggs & sausage.

avonleafan
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Thank you; no, it didn't make me uncomfortable. However, I know I can stretch the food I have on hand, and we have enough to go buy essentials like milk. I just need to spend as little as possible, and my brain doesn't want to seem to be creative today, lol.

Quoting lindilouwho82:

Im not trying to make you or anyone feel uncomfortable but I would go get a food box. They usually have a few essentials cereal, bread, canned goods and some other goodies. It's not the best quality but it will suffice for the next week and it's not as if you are taking advantage of a situation; if I had no funds to go grocery shopping til next week I would explore my options. Seven days is a long time to wait, a lot can happen in seven days and I have been in tricky situations that have left me counting nickels for milk. Good luck!

avonleafan
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Probably not, no.

Quoting mariesmama:

can you buy more flour?

lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Homemade granola bars
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Hashbrown or potato casserole
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avonleafan
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

We do a lot of homemade granola bars. I thought of making a big batch to last all week.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Homemade granola bars

avonleafan
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That's a great idea. Haven't made anything like that in a long time; maybe I should brush off an old recipe.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Hashbrown or potato casserole

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)