Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Has anyone lost weight and toned up just from walking on a treadmill?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Nia
  • 18 Replies

Or did you have to do something else to lose weight. Is there that one thing you cut out your diet that really helped? How long did it take you to lose the amount of wieght you wanted to lose or tone up the way you wanted to be toned?

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Yes, I have in the past.  I used to walk with my friend who had a perfect 4 miles an hour pace.  I would do 2 miles every night with her.  I was also drinking a lot of water as well.  I would say that I prefer to do strength training as well.  I think it works better when you are doing both.  I would do the walking along with lifting weights to get the best results.  Currently I am taking karate and that has worked the best of anything I have tried.  I think that as far as diet goes drinking a lot of water was best things I have done along with a sensible diet.  If you do the walking I recommend doing at least a 3-4 miles an hour pace depending on where you are at.  Also you can add ankle weights later to make it more difficult.  Good luck.

Nenasam
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I couldn't lost anything with just walking. I did zumba and yoga to lost 40kbs with my first kid. With this one, I'm planing to ri the same. But I haven't gaining much so far. There is nothing I cut out from my diet since I have been eating healthy, in my house ..all of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drkelli
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I agree with what the pp said. I lost everything plus some after having DS1 by just walking on the treadmill. Maybe you should check out C25K. I think it could really help.
Cordysmommy
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Treadmill walking along with proper food intake is good for weight loss. Obviously if you can work up to a jog or run it will burn more calories and do more for you. Dance is also an awesome workout, look into zumba. Martial arts is great too. I also do weight lifting, and I do not mean little 2 pound dumbells, I'm talking about real weights. No, it will not cause you to end up with man muscles no matter what people tell you. I cut out soda (I have a couple diet ones each week) and I eat very cleanly. I'm not where I want to be, but so far I have lost about 90 pounds and gone from a 22 to a 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I've been walking on the treadmill since January, pretty consistently 1-2 miles 3-5 days a week, at about 3 mph and sometimes jogging at 3.5.  I have lost 10 pounds and went from a 14 to a 12.  My legs & butt are more toned & I am now starting to add abs and arms work.  I also changed my diet.  I have pretty much quit drinking soda (maybe once a month) and flavored coffees except occasionally at home and have given up a lot of sweets.  I'm trying to set a good example for my boys especially with the sweets & soda thing.   It's nice to hear people notice that I've lost weight & I feel more energetic most days!

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Okay, there is kind of long, so I will shorten it. In 2006, after my 30th birthday, I learned that I was diabetic. The doctor told me that I would go blind and my feet would fall off unless I made drastic changes. Immediately I cut out fried foods, chocolate, white stuff (like bread and rice), and included more fruits and vegetables (like I should've done earlier). I also began walking two to two and a half miles a day-every day. Now your question asked specifically about treadmills. Well, I went walking around my neighborhood, park, and walking my oldest daughter to school. Perhaps if I could've afford a treadmill, I would have walked that way. I had friends who lost weight, but there is the motivation factor. They said that sometimes it became boring and they had to aim higher and higher, use different inclinations, use their iPod, and so forth. When I did my walks, there was nature, seeing other walkers, and living in South Los Angeles, there were times when I had to walk a bit faster (fools, dogs).

I lost forty pounds and went from a 20 to a 16. Yet I gained it back. I had one Kit Kat and well.....................................................................................................................

So treadmill walking does help, yet you must mix it up from time to time, remain motivated, and (sigh) cut out stuff.

I am now sad. However, the best of luck to you and watch out for those Kit Kats and other chocolate temptations.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I used a website called www.sparkpeople.com and that really helped me to track my calories in and out as well and LEARN about nutrition.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I lost 30lbs almost 4 years ago and have kept the weight off. It took me a little over 6 months, losing a pound to 2 per week. There were times when I didn't lose pounds but I did lose inches. I suggest keeping track of inches lost with a tape measure too rather than just relying on a scale. Pictures are a great way to keep track and motivated. I had my hubby take a picture of me same date of each month and I could see the progression, it was very motivating to keep going.

I walked (not on a treadmill), did circuit training DVDs (Jillian Michaels) that included weights (strength training) and kept a food journal. I counted calories rather than cut anything from my diet. That way if I wanted a treat I had it and it helped me stick to serving size too.  I replaced most beverages with water or diet versions (if not allergic to sugar substitutes) because that is where the majority of my calories were coming from.  Now I don't even drink soda. I drink water and iced tea. Remember that you are making lifestyle changes not dieting. Once you hit your goal weight don't go back to doing what you were doing before.

On a side note I just got my drivers license renewed and compared it to the pic from 4 years ago and was like "my face was so fat" it was incredible to see the difference.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Love Sparkpeople~

Quoting anotherandree:

I used a website called www.sparkpeople.com and that really helped me to track my calories in and out as well and LEARN about nutrition.

hiddenidentity6
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

i just stopped eating as much and i lost 20lbs. im not losing anything now so ill probably have to start working out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)