Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Any tips on getting a toddler to nap better?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm having issues putting my 18 month old down for her afternoon nap!  Over the last couple of weeks, she has been fighting me so hard and my patience is wearing thin.  If she doesn't nap, she is very cranky for the rest of the afternoon so I know she needs it.  Just tired of fighting her when putting her down!  She arches her back and goes limp....very frustrating.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
htreveth
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Don't give in and don't give up!! (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM
How verbal is she? Will she understand that she needs to lay there for quiet time? Most kids that age will sleep if they need it. She is probably resisting the idea of a nap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacksMom1221
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Are u rocking her to sleep? Try reading a quiet story to her to calm her down. Make sure she has a full belly, dim the light, sing to her.

Or, just try laying her down and letting her calm herself and get herself to sleep. Give her 10-15 mins to cry a bit, calm down and drift off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Try to limit the amount of stimulation she gets right before naptime.  For example , if she watches a show right before nap time , turn it off  and do something more relaxing like reading her a book and  rocking her, to get her a little more mellow and sleepy. Also a full belly helps =]. Nap time for my son was  45 mins after a late lunch, with some soft ambient music , a book , and a rocker.

lexipooh78
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:18 AM

My almost 2 year old started resisting nap time shortly after his first birthday and by the time he was 18month he was only napping on average 3 times a week, until he got a bike. lol. I swear his bike is a miracle worker.  Everyday during the late morning I get it out fot him and let him go crazy on it for about 30 to 45 mins. Then he has a little snack and either milk or some water while we read a book and settle down. Then he goes right down for a nap. He loves his bike so I get it out for him in the evening too when he asks for it and our normal 15min bedtime routine is usually cut down to less them 5 and he is out. Bikes are the best invention ever. lol

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM

1) massage--start from her feet and work your way up and to her back--lavender scented lotion/oil also helps

2) white noise--a standing fan will also circulate the air and reduce the chances of SIDS and/or classical music as well as buffer outside sounds that may be waking her

3) Room-darkening shades--darkness initiates the production of melatonin, which helps us drift off to sleep

4) warm milk before bedtimes--has tryptophan, which helps lulls us to sleep and also reminds us when we were babies and had warm breastmilk

5) give her something you have worn all day such as a T-shirt, usually around 18 months they start their second bout with separation anxiety and the shirt provides Mommy scent for comfort

alissaplusthree
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Mine would only sleep if I napped with them. 

vermontmoms
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Get a love-sac Gamer sac (big bean bag chair) put it in her room and stay near her till she is out. That said you need to wear her out before nap. We were always at a playground by 10:00 so my boys would be down by 12:30 to 1pm at the latests.

My boys napped till K, but yes I had to wait till they were out before I left the room. Mine had a built-in playmate so it was impossible to leave the room with them still awake until they were 4!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Garnet131
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

These are all awesome tips!  I will try some of these ideas!  Thanks!  She is now 19 months old and just doesn't like to go to sleep whether it's a nap or bedtime!  We got her some glow in the dark toys and now she sleeps better at night!  Just have to work out the nap routine.

sheri305
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Quoting htreveth:

Don't give in and don't give up!! (((Hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)