Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

PIOG Bedtime issue

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
The last few nights, DS, 2.5, has been having a fit when we put him to bed and insisting on sleeping with me. Basically he wants to fall asleep in my arms downstairs. Once he is asleep, he stirs when we take him back up but snuggles right in to bed when we lay him down. The other option is to leave him screaming and sobbing in his room , calling for us, which I have not been able to bring myself to do. I was never able to let him Cio as an infant, either. So my question is this: am i doing more harm than good by allowing him to saty with me and should I just let him scream? Please, if anybody else has been through this, I would truly appreciate some advice!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
myoldest1999
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM
You're possibly doing more harm (if you're worried enough to ask then it's possible) but no don't let him scream, lay down with him while he falls asleep and gradually get out of his bed a little sooner each night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Is he verbal? Can he tell you if he's afraid of something or he just would rather fall asleep on you? If it bugs you,put him to bed and let him cry,it won't last long,he'll learn.You need your time alone to recharge,or re-connect with your husband.

happymom0609
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this
It is all about how secure your child feels and how secure you feel. Is he still in a crib? My daughter was in one till that age. Try laying him down in his bed. Read a story and sing his favorite song. Leave a nightlight on and start early. My son is 6 and still likes to have the blankets tucked tightly under him. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I would just lay with him in his bed till he is out. Put on some white noise/music or fan and just be patient till he is asleep.

If he is verbal and afraid of something get a squirt bottle put a little J&J baby oil in the water and tell him it will repel the monsters. Have him spray the areas he thinks monsters hide (closet, underbed, etc). You can even decorate a label for the spray bottle that says Anti-Monster Juice or Monster-be-Gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

i would bring him upstairs and put him in bed but sit with him until he falls asleep.  bedtime is bedtime and kids WILL fight bedtime but they need to understand that mommy and daddy will not put up with antics.  my dd did this too but i did not let her stay up with me because it's not good for her and she needs to sleep so i put her in bed and sat with her.  i also explained to her that i will not talk or engage, she is to go to bed and i will wait until she falls asleep and then i'll go to my bed and everyone will sleep in their own bed.  if she tries to play or talk, i willget up and leave. 

while you can change the 'rules' of how he goes to bed (ie. you now sit with him), that doesn't mean you have to put up with his attempts at delaying bedtime.  

this has worked for me.  i was clear with the new rules of bedtime with dd and she's followed them.  good luck!

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Better not ask me my kids are now 9.5 and 7 and I still hold them to put them to sleep from time to time. Its MY time with them and I LOVE every minute of them. People used to yell at me for holding my kids until they fell asleep but they were fine with everyone else by themselves but it was my time :D

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN