Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

produce more milk?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM
  • 19 Replies
How can I produce more milk. Daughter eats 3-5 ounces a sitting and I produce a half ounce on one side and 2 on the other. Any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Are you exclusively pumping?

Average pumping output is 1/2 to 1.5 ounces total for both breasts. The best way to up supply is to put baby to the beast, but 2.5 oz is amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candy91518
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, the dr had me drink a beer bc the yeast then pump & throw out 1st batch. There are. Meds, but uber $$$ & most health insurance doesn't cover them. The beer did help, plus it really relaxed me from stressing out over not producing enough milk. Sadly, after 6 weeks, I gave up. There were medical issues, too.
Candy91518
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Oh, pumping in between feedings so expressing milk every 2 hours
Moogie1005
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM
That's good for pumping. Do you nurse too or just pump? Oatmeal, flaxseed, brewer's yeast, and fenugreek can all help. The breastfeeding moms group has a sticky post with suggerstions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Pump output doesn't give an accurate gauge of supply. How many diapers per day? If you are changing 6 - 8 daily, baby is getting plenty.

Quoting Candy91518:

Oh, pumping in between feedings so expressing milk every 2 hours

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candy91518
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Quoting Moogie1005:

I agree. The pumping in between feedings is supoose to help the breast to produce more bc they are made aware the there is more demand. I even got up several times at night to this.
lilahsmommie
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this
There its no need to dump anything after 1 beer.

Quoting Candy91518:

Well, the dr had me drink a beer bc the yeast then pump & throw out 1st batch. There are. Meds, but uber $$$ & most health insurance doesn't cover them. The beer did help, plus it really relaxed me from stressing out over not producing enough milk. Sadly, after 6 weeks, I gave up. There were medical issues, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried pumping and had no luck. I think I tried some diet changes too... its been a while. I gave up and weaned to formula by the sixth week. Trying and it not work caused a lot of anxiety and resentment in me. I felt it was more important to have a positive bond with my child than to continue to try to bf. If it doesn't work, don't sweat it, trying to do what is best is the best you can do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candy91518
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Quoting lilahsmommie:

That would have been great to know then!
lilahsmommie
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM
If you are safe to drive you are safe to nurse. It processes out of the milk just like it does your body, it does not build up, or stay in the milk.

Quoting Candy91518:

Quoting lilahsmommie:

That would have been great to know then!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN