Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Is it just me or are a lot of moms..

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, here it is. Is it just me or are alot of moms dropping off kids at the library and going to work or out to do erands and leaving kids to be babysat by the library. What if the kid gets hungry or thirsty? The kids are between 7-11. I can understand if the child is 16-18. They are old enough to go to the library as long as you have a set time and then show up early to see if they stay or is ducking out to do something else. 7-11 seems a little too young to be left at home alone and left at a library. Would you leave your child with babysitter if you knew they were a child predator? I am at the library and the mom does it every day not just once. She has an old daughter and could have the 18 yr daughter watch the 8 yr old but they leave the 8yr old to both go to work. I could hear them say here is some money and your dad will pick you up in 5hours. I know her hubby makes real good money. I meet them before. Any one else think I should tell someone?

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Replies (81-90):
KITTYCAT1
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

My girls are 10 & 11 (almost 12) and I wouldn't leave them anywhere alone. They aren't allowed to go anywhere without an adult that I am comfortable with.

amazzonia
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

and then it all depends on where you live....one thing is if you are in a library in ny another thing is if you are in a small library in a small midwestern town

pampire
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

At the library near me I've noticed that there is a girl with Downs Syndrome that appears to be alone every time I see her.  The staff there is top-notch so I've not said anything as I assume they know what's up.

chefmartha
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Our library has a strict age policy for the kids being alone in the library. I think they have to be 12. And if the librarian suspects that the parents are dropping them for babysitting they first get a strong warning and if it continues they can be banned for a time. But I live on a military base and use their library most of the time.

Liyoness
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Perhaps you need to get out more.

One single 6 year old that you claim is spoiled (and perhaps has something else going on - you don't know) does not speak for the general population - and you admit that you haven't seen it in public. It is not a common sight, so I would hope that someone would glance twice at a school aged child kicking and screaming their way out of the library.  And let's face it- if the OP recognizes this child and knows all about the family's income, they're likely living in a small town where everyone is going to know if the child is leaving with the wrong person.

I'm not condoning leaving a 7 or 8 year old at the library, and certainly not for so many hours, I'm just negating your claim that no one thinks twice about 7 year olds having huge public fits while the mother carries them out whispering "hush hush, darling."

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You need to get out more. My daughter's best friend is 6, smart as can be academically, but her parents baby her to no end. At a birthday party there was a pinata. After it broke open the dad shook out the rest of the candy onto the ground and a sucker hit the 6 year old on the head. She cried in her mom's arm while the other kids got candy, then eventually got down to grab candy, and then cried all through cake because everyone got more candy than her.

So I have never seen a 7 year old publically melt, probably because my kids are 1 and 4, but I have seen 6 year olds do it on a nearly daily basis since the moment I met that girl. Just because you and I teach our kids social skills, safety skills, etc, doesn't mean the random idiot dropping off her kid at the library has taught her kid anything more than throw a fit if you need attention.

Quoting Liyoness:

No, I have never seen a (neurotypical) 7 year old throw a full scale tantrum in public screaming while a woman softly hushes the child and tries to cuddle him/her to her chest.

In fact, no, I have never seen a 7 year old throw a large scale tantrum in public. Whining, crying, sassing, grumping, shouting? Sure, although very rarely. 7 years old children are not toddlers prone to temper tantrums.

Perhaps you need to teach your child how to work through his/her emotions if public meltdowns are something you find "normal". My 6 year old would be embarrassed to behave that way in public. (And I can't even remember the last time she behaved that way at home.. It has been a very long time!)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You have never seen a 7 year old wander outside? You have never seen a 7 year old throwing a fit? Go outside more. :)

Quoting Liyoness:

Oh yeah. I see this happen with 7 year olds and older all the time.

Not.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I'd report unattended kids to the librarians, who can call security and page the mom. Since the mom is obviously not there, the police can step in.

Sorry, but an elementary school kid could easily wander off, get abducted, etc. As pointed out by crime dramas, no one thinks twice about a woman holding a child in her arms and the kid is kicking and screaming while she rubs his back and talks softly to him. It looks like a normal kid throwing a tantrum, not a child abductor using a female accomplice to snag the kid. 

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

My daughter is 14 and is only now becoming comfortable for me to drop her off at the library and wait in the parking lot for her.  I would never have done it to my 7 y/o and I'm shocked that the library allows it.  If it is an every day occurrance, why hasn't the library done something about it?

mummy1990
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That is waaaaay to young to leave a child at the library like that. I would call the police if I saw something like that happening. 

fancyjane
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

At that age I rode my bike to the library alone as a kid. I'd spend hours upon hours at our local library back then. 

marabie
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I used to spend HOURS at the library when i was younger if my parents were home i lived in a small town but I would go there and sit and read but my parents weren't at work so that makes it a little different.

Chelsey191
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I was going to the library on my own since age 9. I walked there and I walked home, but the world was a much different place back then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)