Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are your parents/in-laws generous w/ their time and money w/ your family??

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wondering & curious what it's like for the rest of you moms out there.  My in-laws, who I live next door to, are usually generous.  Like they will babysit if there is a drs appt (if they are home and not off somewhere enjoying retirement).  When the recession hit a few years, back my hubby's hours dropped below 40 and they would get us a bag of groceries here and there(mostly food for the kids and we did not qualify for assistance) and they are generous w/ toys at Christmas and make our 3 kids' b-days special...but as far as giving us cash, not really.   

My dad, however, is the real life Ebenezer Scrooge, with me & my family anyway.  Not much money and not much of his time and he would never babysit.  He's not into kids and likes to be by himself.  The thing is he has A LOT of money...he spends it on himself or his longtime girlfriend.  He has always been this way...I have always worked for whatever I have and need and I certainly don't expect large cash donations or anything (lol) I was just wondering how your parents help you.... 

How is it for you ladies??  

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Replies (41-42):
Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My parents and mother in law have very little money, but they make up for it in time.  I NEVER pay for daycare.  EVER.  My mother in law watches my son 90% of the time, and when she can't my Mom does.  My Dad takes an hour detour home just to drop by and visit my son.  He lives a long way from us, but if he comes anywhere near me, but usually he is closer to my mother in laws house, he stops and visits my son. 

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

When my mom was alive she would loan me money anytime I asked and I always repaid it. My dad is now on a tight budget without my mom but he manages to get the kids a toy and send it on Christmas. All of my family live in different states and I only really see any of them when I travel. My in laws live 20 mins away and only see my kids when we ask them to babysit. They buy used toys and stuff from the dollar store even though they are financially better off than my dh and I. They don't help us out much and recentley my mil has started watching our kids 3 days a week while we are at work but we have to pay her 125/week for it. It's sad that I have to pay her to have a relationship with her grandchildren.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)