Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How old were your kids

KylesMom409
Really wishing I didn't have to get up at 6 tomorrow. :(
Yesterday at 9:17 PM
Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 19 Replies
when you had the "birds and the bees" talk? And was it you or your DH/SO who had the conversation with them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
They are 5 & 1. We haven't gotten there yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

We haven't had the converstation yet. They are 6 and 4.  

bookworm14
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I've got a 7yr old stepdaughter that has yet to go through it.......not looking forward to that one!  Her older brother has already been through it, had a section in health class at school and everything.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
We're not there yet.
steelcrazy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

This isn't something that is a one time coversation, but many conversations over the course of many years.  We began talking to our boys when they were toddlers and have added to that coversation over the course of the years.  We just talked about puberty with our yougest son, he is 8.  My husband and I both talk to our boys about these matters, we are very open and honest with them.  If a child is old enough to ask a question, they are old enough to get an honest answer.

For those that haven't talked to your kids yet, please don't wait too long.  You want to be the ones to explain it, not the school.  Also, you'd have for your little girl to start her period and have no idea why she is bleeding from down there.  Imagine how tramatic that would be?  So please talk about puberty prior to your child hitting the double digits.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Us either.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

We're not there yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
latopmom
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
I started with my 10 y/o daughter early by first associating herself with her body around the time when she was two and then we progressed from there. I would use all the slangs terms for vagina that I could think of, so she could know what anyone was talking about if she were to be approached. As she got older, I talked about the changes that would occur in her body and I also made sure that she saw me have a positive image about my body. She started her cycle last thanksgiving and was so calm about it that I was in shock. She now handles herself so well that the only way I know its time, is when she wants her back rubbed or come to me with an issue.
I also have talked to her about boys and their ways.

Quoting steelcrazy:

This isn't something that is a one time coversation, but many conversations over the course of many years.  We began talking to our boys when they were toddlers and have added to that coversation over the course of the years.  We just talked about puberty with our yougest son, he is 8.  My husband and I both talk to our boys about these matters, we are very open and honest with them.  If a child is old enough to ask a question, they are old enough to get an honest answer.

For those that haven't talked to your kids yet, please don't wait too long.  You want to be the ones to explain it, not the school.  Also, you'd have for your little girl to start her period and have no idea why she is bleeding from down there.  Imagine how tramatic that would be?  So please talk about puberty prior to your child hitting the double digits.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
The night I told my daughters I was pregnant, they locked me in the bathroom with them until I told them where babies come from, lol. They were 7 and 10 (almost 8 and 11). We continue to have conversations about it now when they have questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aka_speezolove
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I probably started talking about things like menstration with my daughetr somewhere around 7 or so. There may have been some random body questions in there before then, but thats the earliest I remember. She is now 9 and knows how babies are made. I believe in being open and honest to kid's questions. It's just nature, nothing to be wigged out about at our place ;)

www.savedbygraceblog.com

studentteach
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I have been talking to my kids about their bodies since they were toddlers. - "no one is allowed to touch their privates" talk. So it was more like a gradual discussion that got deeper and more detailed as they got older. So when they had their first sex-ed class in the 5th grade it was not a shock to them, and they were not totally mortified when I filled in the blanks. Another good thing was that they felt comfortable asking me questions about their class that went unanswered in school.

I have all daughters and the subject makes my husband incredibly uncomfortable so I do all the talking while he hides and says "let me know when your done" lol.

I am so glad I took that approach because now I have a 13 yo and boy does she know too much for her age- and I can discuss all of the "great" things that young teens see, hear, and do. Hopefully my children will be armed with enough information that they will be able to make good decisions (and not have sex until they are out of my house, lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)