Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How will i ever get her off the bottle!!!

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 35 Replies

This is my third child so it's not like i'm clueless, but the problem is she still wakes up in the night and wants a bottle NOT a sippy! She was up at midnight then 4 then 7 last night! Seriously after 15 months of no sleep (not including pregnancy) i wish she would just sleep through the night already!! she doesnt take them during the day i figure if she would just sleep this would be over!! Any advice??

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Be consistent with trying to give her the sippy cup. If you go in with that enough times hopefully she will figure out quickly that if she wants something to drink, it's going to be in the sippy cup or nothing. Do the same thing during the day too. Hugs and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I would just toss the bottles and deal with a few nights of misery. It might feel like a lifetime but it will be worth it in the long run!

Apparently some people feel I wasnt clear enough so... toss the bottle AND find other comfort measures....(ie sippy if needed or other non-food sources of comfort)

haute_couture
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM

It seems to me that she`s neither hungry nor thursty but needs her baby "sleeping pill". May be if you increase her daily activities night time she would be tired and sleep without waking up. I had similar issue with my 15 months old daughter. She didn`t wake up during the night but resufed to go to bed till midnight. So we started  spending more time in the park or the toddler club and now when we come back home she`s so tired of playing that goes to bed right after her shower.

SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Agree, mom needs to have stronger will power than babe

Quoting SuperPickle:

I would just toss the bottles and deal with a few nights of misery. It might feel like a lifetime but it will be worth it in the long run!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haute_couture
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Oh, this sounds so cruel to me... I could never do this to my kid. I couldn`t even imagine how anyone could be capable of not giving food/drink to a crying baby. My opinion is that we`ve got to think for our kids` comfort on first place and then for ours. I agree that waking up three times a night is not the most pleasant thing on earth but could you imagine what the poor baby`s experiencing if left crying without her favourite milk/formula...

Quoting SuperPickle:

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

who said ANYTHING about not giving them food or drink or even denying comfort??? Switching to a sippy cup and tossing the bottle is NOT denying them food for heaven sake.

And finding sources of comfort that isnt food is not cruel it is a healthy habit to get into. 

Quoting haute_couture:

Oh, this sounds so cruel to me... I could never do this to my kid. I couldn`t even imagine how anyone could be capable of not giving food/drink to a crying baby. My opinion is that we`ve got to think for our kids` comfort on first place and then for ours. I agree that waking up three times a night is not the most pleasant thing on earth but could you imagine what the poor baby`s experiencing if left crying without her favourite milk/formula...

Quoting SuperPickle:

stephadams1107
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Oh mama!! Reading this post is like a reflection into my own life. Ryker is exactly the same way!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Have her pick out some sippy cups. For example, if she likes Dora, get some Dora cups. Once she has the cups, remove all of the bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
What's on the bottle? You could just put in water and offer that. In the middle of the night, she is seeking the comfort of sucking, not satisfying hunger.
haute_couture
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I believe your initial reply is still below and there`s no word of switching to a sippy cup. You only mention tossing the bottles and dealing with the few nights of mysery. And this exact quotation provoked my indignation. If you meant something else all you need to do is write it since noone here could read your thoughts.

Quoting SuperPickle:

who said ANYTHING about not giving them food or drink or even denying comfort??? Switching to a sippy cup and tossing the bottle is NOT denying them food for heaven sake.

And finding sources of comfort that isnt food is not cruel it is a healthy habit to get into. 

Quoting haute_couture:

Quoting SuperPickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN