Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

"Why do you"...(Curiousity)

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 32 Replies

Have the set of religious or otherwise beliefs that you do? I being an Atheist get asked all the time "why do you not believe there is a God?" but I have never had the opportunity to find out why those that believe do and what those beliefs have given them in life.

I don't necessarily intend to start a debate or for otherse to pass judgement; my question is one drawn from curiousity. I think it would be easy for those with strong convictions to spell out why they believe what they do and how it has benefited their lives.

My life is like a lemondrop I'm suckin' on the bitter to get to the sweet part I know there are better days ahead.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dannille33
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I was raised in the chruch. The at age 17 I left the chruch and began to question what many question at that age or any age and doubt what thwy have been taught. Age 20 I returned to my faith where I am still to this day. I feel no reasn to justify why I believe in God, or to " force feed others" if they care not to listen. I may talk about God and witness to others what he has done for my family and my mother who was on her death bed 2 times last year and in icu and made it through, even the doctors said and wrote in her charts " this must be some sort of miracle." I do not treat anyone differently if they do not believe as I do. I accept others and their types of beliefs. I do not care to watch debates where people attack one another for being or believing who they are and what the believe in.
lindilouwho82
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Dannille33:

I was raised in the chruch. The at age 17 I left the chruch and began to question what many question at that age or any age and doubt what thwy have been taught. Age 20 I returned to my faith where I am still to this day. I feel no reasn to justify why I believe in God, or to " force feed others" if they care not to listen. I may talk about God and witness to others what he has done for my family and my mother who was on her death bed 2 times last year and in icu and made it through, even the doctors said and wrote in her charts " this must be some sort of miracle." I do not treat anyone differently if they do not believe as I do. I accept others and their types of beliefs. I do not care to watch debates where people attack one another for being or believing who they are and what the believe in.

Thank you for sharing! I was raised by a mother who was not raised with religion and though I was not told what to believe, God was never talked about. My mom is a pediatrician that uses science to explain everything and when something bad or good happened it was just "the way things are."

I for a very, very long time did not know that people celebrated Christmas as being Jesus' birthday. I just thought it was a holidy in which people gathered to share in good food,lots of baking, each others company, a few gifts exchanged and of course Santa.

My sister who was raised just as I was is now a very involved Mormon, which is all very hard to understand. But I respect her, she respects me and we get together and enjoy our families making memories.

I just love hearing people be passionate about what keeps them grounded, what keeps them going, what helps them to understand and religion does a lot of that for a lot of people.

My life is like a lemondrop I'm suckin' on the bitter to get to the sweet part I know there are better days ahead.

Dannille33
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Quoting lindilouwho82:

Your very welcome. I've heard alot and seen alot and I have to admit sometimes I don't understand why a person believes this way or that. I don't tell them it's wrong, all I can do is be accepting. I learned as a child that it's good to talk about God and all his wonders, it's called planting the seed. One can do this, but like with plants and flowers that person you share with must learn more to make the seed grow. It's not something you can force a person to do.

I believe you and your sister are great for accepting one another. Some often fight because they cannot accept how the other believes. I believe it's the part about being mature and grow up. It Also makes life easier when you just learn to stop changing people, and accept them:)

Thanks for your very kind and well minded response and post:)
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Worshipping nature always felt right to me. I can see it, feel it, smell it...etc. it provides us with essentials to survive, it is home to other species also trying to survive...nature is magickal and beautiful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I grew up roman Catholic. I refuse to buy into any religion anymore. I really disliked the way the church was ran.
lindilouwho82
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Worshipping nature always felt right to me. I can see it, feel it, smell it...etc. it provides us with essentials to survive, it is home to other species also trying to survive...nature is magickal and beautiful.

My mom's best friend is Wiccan and though I am Atheist it would make more sense to me believe in the things one can smell,. touch, feel and use tangibly in their day to day lives. Drawing in power from our most precious resource,nature, I would imagine is empowering.

adalynnsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I am a Christian and don't remember a time that I was not.  I have always felt Christ with me.  I have seen Him at work in all of my life.  I have been touched by His healing hands.  My faith is something that comes from somewhere very deep within me.  I have always known God, and my relationship with Him has always been very personal.  As I believe it is with everyone.  I cannot help but share the Word of the Lord nor His love for all of us. 

I know all of our walks are different and our religion, or lack of one is something that is very personal for each person.  But, if I do not share what I believe to be the truth then I am not following a command of Christ.  I know that I cannot force my believes on on anyone.  I do not want to force my believes on anyone.  I respect our rights to believe as we will.  But, when I look around me and see life and the earth I don't understand how anyone cannot see God.

lenoxclan
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe in God but I do not practice a religion..

I grew up mostly Christian(when dad wasnt mad at God and therefore banning him from the house)dh grew up EVERYTHING(his mother changed religion more often than she did her underwear)

We both believe there is a God and in Jesus, ect.. ect.. Quite frankly to me, religion today is a farce. You can go to 3 different Christian churches and listen to the same sermon at each and each of the 3 will tell you the passage means something different.

Id rather read the bible(if/when I choose)and come about my own opinion rather than someone else's...Plus, if I want to "study" the bible at home, it's free... theses days church is not...

Roo1234
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I wanted to be able to give my children a connection to their heritage (Judaism) in a way that was personal and meaningful. By raising them with faith and cultural background they can feel connected to something bigger than themselves-figuratively, historically, socially.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaylorsMommie1
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I was raised as a Christian and attended church regularly growing up. However, I had a loss of faith in my early 20s, but came back to it on my own terms, with a deeper understanding, belief, and a stronger faith. I just feel that it is real to me. It's no less crazy to me than thinking the universe, Earth, and life as we know all just POOF from nothing and came into existence one day for no reason..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN