Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How old was your LO when you had her ears pierced? My jeweler father is pressuring us to have our 24 month old's ears pierced

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

My dad is a jeweler, has owned his own store for 30 some years, and he gave my little girl diamond earrings for her birthday this month.  They are awesome, but I am wondering if now is a good time. At this age she is VERY aware of what is going on and I can see her reacting the way she does to shots...but he REALLY wants us to get this done and use his gift.  What are your thoughts and does anyone have a LO about her age that you had their ears pierced????  What should I get ready to deal with if we decide to have it done....and WHERE do we get it done?  I have heard that some doctor's offices do it now!

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM
My dd is 5 and her ears are not pierced. We are leaving the decision up to her. That's what my parents did with my sister and I. My dd said that she would like to have her ears pierced, but she's not ready yet. My 11 year old niece just got hers pierced recently.
import1a92
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Claire's in the mall starts piercing at 3-6 months old. Pricing varies depending the earing type.

I got DD's pierced at 14 months at Claire's. It was about $35. white gold studs and we left them in for 6 months. DD is 3 1/2 now and she only wears them in on special occasions. At first it was shocking to her so the lady doing the piercing gave her a stuffed bear to hug and counted down from 10 to 1 and did it as quickly as possible. But it hurt and she shreaked throughout the mall. So after 10 minutes. until she calmed down, the patient lady did the other ear. Sometime within the first year, DD pulled them out in her sleep. Money was tight to get a new pair and by the time a few months later the holes closed up. So we had to go through the whole fiasco again when DD was pushing 2 years old.

I got mine pierced when I was 12 years old at Walmart's jewelry counter for $15 with 14k gold studs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Wow, if the dr office does it that would be my first choice otherwise the mall. They do so many of them and they are sterile. My 1dd 11 months, 2dd 3 1/2 yrs, 3 dd 6 months. Love it!

mlongbear
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
We are letting our girls decide. ODD was 6, YDD is 6 now and she's unsure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alissaplusthree
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

4 months old? (I cannot quite remember) 

She cried for about 15 seconds and then went to sleep. She never had any problems or complaints.

Diva-Mami
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I pierced dd ears at 3mos. She wasnt old enough to mess with the piercings. She cried for a hot second then was normal. We went to the mall to have it done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Our oldest got hers done when she turned 5. We had them do both ears at once. She did much better than I did at 13. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SHORTSHORT
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

i waited with my 1st til she was 5yr old..but with my last one i waited til my 1st birthday..

sugarNspice9803
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

My DD was 3months old and we pierced her ears ,we did it at the Doctors office, one nurse on each ear at the same time (they marked the spots so it would be even) she cried for a minitue but was fine after that.

Motherof3under4
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM

My two girls got theirs done at the mall.It was free just had to purchase the earrings. They were 11months and the other 6months. All I did was keep it cleaned and keep the earring turned atleast  twiced a day. They never picked at them or pulled on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN