Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Santa vs Jesus debate *poll*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should the tradition of "Santa" and other fictional characters be the center of Christmas?

Options:

Yes, the tradition of Santa should remain

No, we should bring back Christ in Christmas

Not sure, have to give it some thought :)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

Over the years I had given an idea more & more thought. We all know how "santa" has taken over Christmas. While Santa is a great symbol of giving, I feel I made a huge mistake falling into the tradition of lying to the children. It really didn't hit me until my youngest daughter found out Santa & the rest of the holiday figures weren't real. It seemed as though once the children get to that age, they put God & Jesus into the same category of "fictional figures"... seeming we tell them "Santa can see if you've been bad or good" just as we do with God. SO at that point it seems they put them all into the same category... if santa isnt real, God must not be either. And at that point, our trust with the children is broken, after lying to them all those years. So telling them God & Jesus is real... do they actually believe it??? Im changing things this time around, if I am blessed with another child.

Any one agree?

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

santa brings presents on christmas  jesus is a year round confidant

squeekers
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

this is the reason i stopped being religious. our church got a new hubby & wife pastor set about 5 months before chrismas. our dd was just beginning first grade that year and was trying to identify with sunday school lessons. we went to go see xmas lights the saturday before church, and she had an honest question for the pastor. the next day, after sunday school was over and the church was being let out into the court yard, she asked me to walk her over to the new pastor (m). I did and she asked her question, with all the serousness she could muster at 5 yrs old. "Why did she see a Santa bowing over the baby jesus? Which came first Santa or jesus?" Honest enough question, don't you think?

The pastor, stood up, didnt seem to take time to collect his thoughts and quite loudly asked my daughter, "Are you an idiot? Everyone knows jesus came first and Santa was a myth to belittle children."  

That day, we stopped going to church, and began to question everything & everyone. 7 years later, I became a Humanist.

I'm a happy Humanist.
Question everything, except your mother.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I didn't belive in Santa as a child. I am a Christian and grew up in a Christian household, I knew the presents came from my parents. My husband and his family didn't do Santa either. My son's know that the gifts they get for Christmas come from their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. My son's also know the true meaning of Christmas.

MamaJAG
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I didn't vote, but we don't do Santa.  I view it as a big lie that just upsets them when they find out the truth.  No reason to make my kids distrust me over something so stupid.  We celebrate the birth of Jesus.

MamaJAG
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes, that is bad!  That is really ridiculous.  How hard would it have been to say Jesus came first and then talk about where the idea of Santa came from?  Sorry that happened to you.

Quoting squeekers:

this is the reason i stopped being religious. our church got a new hubby & wife pastor set about 5 months before chrismas. our dd was just beginning first grade that year and was trying to identify with sunday school lessons. we went to go see xmas lights the saturday before church, and she had an honest question for the pastor. the next day, after sunday school was over and the church was being let out into the court yard, she asked me to walk her over to the new pastor (m). I did and she asked her question, with all the serousness she could muster at 5 yrs old. "Why did she see a Santa bowing over the baby jesus? Which came first Santa or jesus?" Honest enough question, don't you think?

The pastor, stood up, didnt seem to take time to collect his thoughts and quite loudly asked my daughter, "Are you an idiot? Everyone knows jesus came first and Santa was a myth to belittle children."  

That day, we stopped going to church, and began to question everything & everyone. 7 years later, I became a Humanist.

morriganna
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Christmas is as Christ centered as you make it, and Santa is part of the magic and joy of childhood.  I grew up in a very religious home and we went to church several times a week, did lots of service related projects during the holidays, AND got a stocking chock full of gifts from Santa every year.  They are not mutally exclusive.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I don't see why both can't be celebrated.  The whole Santa thing is fun for kids. I love it when my kids get excited about "Santa" coming on Christmas Eve.  My kids love baking, decorating, and leaving out cookies for Santa.  I have been looking for a book about the St. Nicholas legend with no such luck. 

Dh and also teach our kids why Christmas is celebrated. One of our traditions is to set out our Nativity scene. While we are setting it up I explain who each of the figures represents.  I also read the "Christmas Story"  to them several times throughout the season. 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up Catholic and to me Jesus and Santa were 2 different things.  Being a mom now, I did not raise my daughter with religion just for her to be a good person,  although she has heard and asks a lot of question about Jesus which I try to answer as fairly as I can. 

As far as Santa is concerned, I have always told my DD that Christmas is about giving.   Santa brings her 1 gift and her stocking.  The rest of the gifts are from me, her grand-mas, aunt & uncle, step dad, etc ... every year I also make her give away one of her toys for a little girl who does not have any so she does have some dose of reality.  So it won't be an uber shock when she finds out it's not "real" I will explain to her it's more like a tradition.

ShelbysHope76
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Yes, I do agree with you. We have been scaling back each year for the last two years and really discussing the reason we celebrate. My girls have a solid foundation on who God and Jesus are, and that we celebrate Jesus's birthday at Christmas.

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I'm not a christian so the focus is family...not even quite santa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)