Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

homeschoolers mom please help! where and how to start

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi my daughter is turning 4 and we are planning to homeschool her any  mom out there who do homeschooling with my daughters age? or any tips and advice where to start? I been reading in the net lot of stuff but i like moms who already experienced homeschooling and did it..thanks in advance for any advice you could give me..God bless you all!!

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

We don't homeschool but here's a bump~

sheri305
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Bump

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We are entering our second year of homeschooling.  This year we are doing a charter homeschool program.  My son is officially entering kindergarten this year.  Last year he was 4 and I just kind of followed his lead.  He wanted to read so I taught him.  He wanted to add so I taught him.  He wanted to subtract so I taught him.  He wanted to learn about the human body so we did this project

http://thehometeacher.blogspot.com/2012/03/human-body-printables.html

We had fun and learned a ton too :)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopemommy2
by Paula on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Join The Happy Homeschoolers group.

alissaplusthree
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

1. Understand and abide by the laws of your state.

2. Locate and join a local support group.

3. If you feel you MUST purchase a book, I recommend this one  http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Rs-Ruth-Beechick/dp/0880620749  . The principles in it will take you WAY past Kindergarten.

4. Get a library card, and READ, READ, READ.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM
avonleajules1
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I do. My son is 4, but he wants to "do school" because his sister does. Have fun. Take it at her own pace. Let her explore and don't be afraid to get messy. Play is the best method of learning there is at this age. 

balancedmama
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

First, since she is four you can "practice" now without any pressure of meeting certain requirements which is awesome - its sort of how I started.

second, read some BOOKS on the matter.  There is a lot of great information online, but books are edited and more formal so more time is spent on making sure the info in them is accurate and universal.  This can also help you with great ammo for the inevitable dissenters you will encounter with common discouraging arguments and how to combat those arguments.

Third, It can be helpful to choose a guiding set of principles in order to narrow down curricular and online resources  a little so I suggest looking up the different styles of homeschooling.  My article "homeschooling with style" (see my profile for blog address) can give you a place to start and has links to other resources on each specific style as well as lists related books for many of the styles, there are other articles out there, but I had a hard time finding an "all in one place" kind of resource myself. 

Finally, begin with what makes you most comfy.  LOVE literature? introduce her to one of your favorite pieces of children's literature and do some crafts and discussion related to it.  Maybe your favorite thing is science - choose a really basic concept and find a great experiement you can do together.  Make it fun and relax because, like I said, you have time to "practice".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN