Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitting question? Sorry kinda long. *Updated *

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM
  • 23 Replies
Ok I need some input please.

How much would you charge to watch 3 children ages 6,5 & 3 ?

I've tried helping my friend out by only charging $15 a day she provides snacks. from what was supposed to be from 2pm till latest 6:30pm.

But here's the thing. She now brings them anywhere from 1 to 1:15 pm. I text her a day or two ahead & let her know they need juice or snacks but lately she doesn't bring anything still or acts like she's mad a jug of juice doesn't last two weeks between three kids?
I've told her not to bring sodas because I can't stand seeing a child drink sodas all day, and when she brings them that's all they want is soda. (last Thursday she brought a 2 liter mountain dew they pitched a fit because I wouldn't let them drink straight from the bottle, and the next day she said just give it to them because they love mountain dew?)
I'm sorry I refuse because to me that's just not healthy.
Ok so now she thinks I'm supposed to pick the two older ones up from school each day also included in the same $15 dollars?

My SO is pissed & said she's using me & I should charge more.

So what is the normal rate?
I never had any of my children in a home sitting environment, always daycare. So I don't have a clue

any help? sorry so long.

*edited to add-
pick up is supposed to be by 6:30 pm
at the latest. But her mom picks them up & stands there complaining for 30 minutes before putting them in the car to leave. No matter what I say she just sits on the porch fussing. I've mentioned it to her and asked her to handle her mom & she just blows it off with a "ignore her she's crazy".

** update********************
I called her and explained my concerns & told her I would have to charge more to transport & I would start providing food, snacks, drinks & pull ups (she never brings any or wipes) for 25 a day. But think we need a signed agreement.
She flat out said I'm retarded & there is no reason for her to pay more being the school is less than 3 miles from my house. That she could just let her children (6&5) walk to my house. And that she knows her children barely eat because they are skinny. That she's doing me a favor letting me watch them to make extra money. But if I insist on extra money she'll report me?

I'm seriously & utterly in shock. How can she think all that. guess we're not as good of friends as I thought. Noe don't I feel stupid.
Thanks for the responses ladies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

even between the best of friends a contract is needed. I personally wont do flat rates because someone always ends up getting screwed over. Write up a simple contract, Outline exactly what you expect, I would charge more (and charge a rate that includes food, so there is no argument about healthy snacks) Include "overtime charges" and transportation payment too....

In that contract make sure to include liability releases in case they get hurt in your care! Accidents happen and it is sad how many people will take advantage and sue you. 

crazynlove78
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Never thought of doing that.
Thanks I'm going to look into it.

What's a decent rate ?

Quoting SuperPickle:

even between the best of friends a contract is needed. I personally wont do flat rates because someone always ends up getting screwed over. Write up a simple contract, Outline exactly what you expect, I would charge more (and charge a rate that includes food, so there is no argument about healthy snacks) Include "overtime charges" and transportation payment too....

In that contract make sure to include liability releases in case they get hurt in your care! Accidents happen and it is sad how many people will take advantage and sue you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

call up some local daycares and see what the going rate is. It varies so much from area to area. I charge a little more than the going rate here because the people I sit for have on call and emergency hours so I am extremely flexible. If you are offering hours outside the normal daycare times you can adjust as you see fit. Or if you are just trying to help her out you can go less.

Quoting crazynlove78:

Never thought of doing that.
Thanks I'm going to look into it.

What's a decent rate ?

Quoting SuperPickle:

Nenasam
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Wow, I pay my sitter $35 a day with just one 3 year olds. And she watches him from 1om-7pm. No need to b pick up and eat whatever she want in my house. She even did laundry last thur lol. I think, you shouldnt care for $15 a day for 3 kids. And I'm sure noone would do this for your friend. You are being such a nice friend and care about healths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emiliasmom1028
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister in law is my sitter and she charges her day care kids $1.50 per hour per kid a day. I pay $1.00 per hour because we are realated. She offered to do it for free for me but I insisted that I pay her. The bus drops off my daughter at my SIL's house so no need for her to drive her.

I would ask your friend for at least $40 a week extra for gas/food costs once school starts.

indymom72
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

When my daughter was in day care she had to be dropped off and picked up at school by the day care.  She was in their care for a total of three hours a day and I paid 90 per week.  That was for just one kid.  She is taking advantage of you. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome advice!

Quoting SuperPickle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazynlove78
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Thanks for all the information. Stay blessed everyone :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM

what is going to report you for, watching her kids?

tell her to suck on it...

in reality you screwed yourself because you started out charging her so cheap.  take you loss of a friendship and cut your ties.  its obvious she is delusional thinking she is going to get someone to watch her kids for so cheap.

crazynlove78
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I don't have a clue she just said you'll see. I'm not one to argue over the phone. I have nothing to hide so its whatever.

I agree I did start out screwing myself but I'm not asking for more money just to be asking. I was done with $15 a day (even dealing with her mom) until she decided she wanted me to start picking her kids up & not bring them food.
$25 a day is still very cheap with food, pull ups, wipes & transportation after school included.
The daycares I called (we have two here) were 145 & 160 per child transportation not included. (you had to find your own. ) and pick up by 5:30.
I talked to three ladies off the dfcs home care sheet & they were all 30 a day pick up by 5:30pm also they don't provide transportation. and all the places I called none provided weekend hours.
I tried to explain & tell her I was open to hearing her options/opinions but she blew into me like I was asking for a million.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

what is going to report you for, watching her kids?

tell her to suck on it...

in reality you screwed yourself because you started out charging her so cheap.  take you loss of a friendship and cut your ties.  its obvious she is delusional thinking she is going to get someone to watch her kids for so cheap.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)