Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Babysitting question? Sorry kinda long. *Updated *

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok I need some input please.

How much would you charge to watch 3 children ages 6,5 & 3 ?

I've tried helping my friend out by only charging $15 a day she provides snacks. from what was supposed to be from 2pm till latest 6:30pm.

But here's the thing. She now brings them anywhere from 1 to 1:15 pm. I text her a day or two ahead & let her know they need juice or snacks but lately she doesn't bring anything still or acts like she's mad a jug of juice doesn't last two weeks between three kids?
I've told her not to bring sodas because I can't stand seeing a child drink sodas all day, and when she brings them that's all they want is soda. (last Thursday she brought a 2 liter mountain dew they pitched a fit because I wouldn't let them drink straight from the bottle, and the next day she said just give it to them because they love mountain dew?)
I'm sorry I refuse because to me that's just not healthy.
Ok so now she thinks I'm supposed to pick the two older ones up from school each day also included in the same $15 dollars?

My SO is pissed & said she's using me & I should charge more.

So what is the normal rate?
I never had any of my children in a home sitting environment, always daycare. So I don't have a clue

any help? sorry so long.

*edited to add-
pick up is supposed to be by 6:30 pm
at the latest. But her mom picks them up & stands there complaining for 30 minutes before putting them in the car to leave. No matter what I say she just sits on the porch fussing. I've mentioned it to her and asked her to handle her mom & she just blows it off with a "ignore her she's crazy".

** update********************
I called her and explained my concerns & told her I would have to charge more to transport & I would start providing food, snacks, drinks & pull ups (she never brings any or wipes) for 25 a day. But think we need a signed agreement.
She flat out said I'm retarded & there is no reason for her to pay more being the school is less than 3 miles from my house. That she could just let her children (6&5) walk to my house. And that she knows her children barely eat because they are skinny. That she's doing me a favor letting me watch them to make extra money. But if I insist on extra money she'll report me?

I'm seriously & utterly in shock. How can she think all that. guess we're not as good of friends as I thought. Noe don't I feel stupid.
Thanks for the responses ladies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
Nenasam
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her you done doing that. It's over, you don't need a friend likes her. This type of people/friend are not on my list lol. My neighbours offers to take my son out sometime..I still insist to help her with gas and food.

Quoting crazynlove78:

I don't have a clue she just said you'll see. I'm not one to argue over the phone. I have nothing to hide so its whatever.

I agree I did start out screwing myself but I'm not asking for more money just to be asking. I was done with $15 a day (even dealing with her mom) until she decided she wanted me to start picking her kids up & not bring them food.

$25 a day is still very cheap with food, pull ups, wipes & transportation after school included.

The daycares I called (we have two here) were 145 & 160 per child transportation not included. (you had to find your own. ) and pick up by 5:30.

I talked to three ladies off the dfcs home care sheet & they were all 30 a day pick up by 5:30pm also they don't provide transportation. and all the places I called none provided weekend hours.

I tried to explain & tell her I was open to hearing her options/opinions but she blew into me like I was asking for a million.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

what is going to report you for, watching her kids?

tell her to suck on it...

in reality you screwed yourself because you started out charging her so cheap.  take you loss of a friendship and cut your ties.  its obvious she is delusional thinking she is going to get someone to watch her kids for so cheap.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok. I have 1 child (8) and our sitter picks her up around 8 pm from mil's house (maybe 2 miles away), brings her home & gets her in bed for me as I don't get home til 1:30 am. I pay her $30.00 for that 1 night a week for roughly 5 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daisy79
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Holy shit!  Will you watch my kids for me?  I currently have a friend watching mine, but she's clearly not cut out for it (not judging; other people's kids annoy me, but I don't do it as a job...)  Don't feel stupid for being nice.  Your friend is a bitch; she won't report you.  Anyone who encourages someone else to give her 3yo Mountain Dew (and not just a sip, but on a regular basis), has done way more in private that would not hold up to a CS visit.

Liltdanh
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
If she's going to act like 25 is too much to pay for all you do and provide then you should let her know you would rather have someone keep her kids. She's getting off easy. I would love to find someone to watch mine for that many hours at such low price.
crazynlove78
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Thanks ladies. she came over & started acting the fool cussing & screaming in front of my children saying I wasn't much of a friend doing this to her. I tried once to talk calmly & explain this wouldn't take effect tomorrow that we could wait till school starts. but she didn't want to hear it. I asked her to leave & sent the 4 cans of tuna with her.
I love kids & truly hope she finds someone else instead of leaving them home alone. but I can't deal with the drama so its over & out of my hands.
Thank you all for your great input. Stay blessed. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow...psycho! Good riddance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
She will be crawling back when she realizes how much child care actually costs... And if ever, you find out she is leaving those small kids home alone, call the authorities ASAP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would cut my losses and tell her she needs to find a new babysitter.  

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

This is why I refuse to get into watching friend's kids on a regular basis. I was friends with someone just like this. Not only did she expect me to watch her kids for hours on end, but she would never supply the items that her kids needed for the day, and then complain when I would ask her to reimburse me for purchasing milk, or lunch or even diapers for her kids.  I didn't charge her for my time at first, but eventually it got to the point where I told her that if she wanted me to watch her kids all day on my days off from work, then I was going to start charging her $6 an hour (pretty reasonable if you ask me).  She got pissed, and stated that I should be doing it as a favor to her, and accused me of being a bad friend, because  I wanted money for watching her kids (the money I was asking for would end up going towards feeding and diapering her kids).  Eventually, I got fed up.  I felt like she was using me as a person to dump her kids off on so she could visit friends or her boyfriend.  One day I told her that if  she needs a sitter, to look elsewhere.  To her, my time was not as valuable as hers.

mommieof
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! She sounds like a piece of work. I'd never let a 5&6 yr old walk alone wtf? She didn't need to take her anger that far and if she's gonna talk to you like that she isn't a real friend. Cut your losses now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)