Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Older first time moms....

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you have find it hard to find a group of peers to meet with?  I had my daughter at 34 and when I try moms groups with my toddler I seem to be 10-15 years older than all the other moms and feel like a dinosaur.   Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss05
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM

No advice but I had my kids when I was 31 & 36 so I know  how you feel. :)

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM

A lot seems to depend on the area you live in, or where you are finding these groups.  When I went through ECFE and YMCA I was definitely a lot older then the other women. Now people I've met through my sons montessori I'm far more inline with their ages. 

Have you tried looking for any meetup groups? Or maybe starting one yourself?

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, that's why I am on here.  I had my first child at 35, the only good thing is I have 2 sister in laws who although much younger both have young boys, so I can hang around with them.

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I started over in a sence. I have an 11 year old and a 2 year old. I'll be 35 in January. My sons freinds parents are my age but I do find I am older then a lot of people I come across with little ones my daughters age. However I was able to come across a few moms here in my complex that have little ones at my age. Are you on Texas? If so Where?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Well I had my baby girl this past March. I'm 32... I found that most of my girlfriends from Uni or HS have had kids ( or are having them) around this age give or take a couple years. Facebook has been great for me to reconnect with some of them.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAJ2921
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Dunno...I don't let the age thing bother me. I was 35 by the time I had my oldest son..turned 36 the day after we brought him home. I'd be interested in hearing what other older moms have to say. I'm just proud to be a mom but on the flipside I think it would be nice to have mom friends around my age.

maureen813
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I had my first child at thirty seven and my second at thirty nine years old. I would say that women were typically five to ten years younger than myself in the neighborhood where I live and at first I felt a bit old participating in the play group with my children, I was a little akward and aware of the age difference but after a few times I became more comfortable as the focus of discussion was mostly on the children. That being said, I live in the northeast in what could be described as an upper middle class neighborhood so everyone seems to marry and start families in their late twenties and early to mid thirties.
Cate1129
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I was 33 when Jack was born last year, and i too often find myself the oldest in the room of toddler moms! The key is to search until you find more moms your age. They are out there! We are not the only ones who waited to have babies!

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I got lucky and met one at the YMCA( I was 33 when my ds was born) unfortunately she had to go back to Arizona . She was a wonderful person 3 kids the youngest a boy a few days older than my son . I miss her advice. My df colleagues all had kids within a few months before or after ours ( being first time parents together is quite the conversation ! All the moms are way younger than me I feel ya
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN