Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Who knows about medical billing?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

I went to the doctor and recieved the bills in the mail.  $205 for blood work and $25 for my office co-pay.  I paid the $25 and I set up a payment plan for the larger bill.  I paid $103.

I never recieved another bill.  I had just started wondering if I had paid it when they called me and told me they were sending me to collections.  You never sent me a bill to pay!

So finally I get the bill.  They only took $78 off, not $103!  I called and asked them where my other $25 went. They said they would investigate and call me back.

2 weeks later I called them again.  I was informed that it was applied to another bill (which I never received btw).  They also informed me I have another $114 bill to pay.  I never recieved this bill either and there is nothing they did that could have cost me an additional $114.  They offered to send me itemized statements of my bills.

I just received them.  One bill is $205 and says I paid $78 of it and the other is $25 and says I paid it.  So there's still $25 missing that they have apparently applied to a bill I have never seen and they did not send me an itemized statement for.  Nowhere does it say I owe an additional $114 either.  All of the labs I had done are listed on this bill and my co-pay is $25 for office visits.

Am I missing something here?  They say it's between me and my insurance company but isn't this their issue if they are billing me for things they have no record of and I did not have done?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Get a copy of all billings from the Dr's office and all billings from your insurance company. Even if your insurance company isn't paying the amount they have to bill your insurance company and your insurance company rejects it. Compare the bills and you will figure out where the money is. Someone is not telling the truth somewhere and it'smore than likely the Dr's office is bullshitting you into paying more than you acctually owe.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I have all of the statements from my insurance company.  There is one I owed $25 and one I owed $205.  No other statements at all.  This is all I have received from the doctor's office billing.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Get a copy of all billings from the Dr's office and all billings from your insurance company. Even if your insurance company isn't paying the amount they have to bill your insurance company and your insurance company rejects it. Compare the bills and you will figure out where the money is. Someone is not telling the truth somewhere and it'smore than likely the Dr's office is bullshitting you into paying more than you acctually owe.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Then the drs office is trying to pull a fast one it sounds like

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I have all of the statements from my insurance company.  There is one I owed $25 and one I owed $205.  No other statements at all.  This is all I have received from the doctor's office billing.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkradio193
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I would go in and talk to someone and clarify the bills (assuming phone conversations have not worked).  They should be able to provide you with a copy of the bills and work done.  I would not pay anything until I knew exactly what I was paying for.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM
The billing is done out of state :(
And now I received one for my son for $101 for an eye exam! My co pay for him is $10

Quoting storkradio193:

I would go in and talk to someone and clarify the bills (assuming phone conversations have not worked).  They should be able to provide you with a copy of the bills and work done.  I would not pay anything until I knew exactly what I was paying for.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
am03
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM
I worked in a dr office and after a bit I took over the billing... It was a mess!! Many times patients are double billed or even billed for services not provided. You would be surprised how many people just pay any bill that comes their way so doctors benefit from poor billing records and have no desire to straighten it out. I would say go to the clinic where you were seen and ask the billing dept, or receptionist for an itemized statement for your entire history, AND a copy of all 1500 form sent on your behalf (1500 is a legal form dr must send to insur company) they may give you a hard time but bug them enough and they'll fork it over, fed law says they must keep a record and give you a copy when requested.
This will Show the actual bill the dr sent to the insur co. Then ask insur co for itemized billing The itemized billing from insurance co will show what they paid the dr. Compare and catch the mistake! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navewife
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM
I've done medical billing for 9yrs now. Misteakes are common. Call your doctors office and ask what dates of service your being billed for and how much for each date. Then call the insurance co, and ask them to contact the dr office on your behalf. I have had many ins co call with the pt on the line and if the dr offc billed wrong, they have to fix it because their contracted. So they can't argue too much with the ins if its wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sockslady
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

First of all do you have private insurance, find your contract you should always know what percent of the charge that you pay and what percent the insurance pay. Because the insurance company's fault that you over pay. Doctor's are getting over because most people don't take the time to read and know what is in there contact so they just send people a bill and they pay it. Knowledge is power and also a money saver. The money you save may be your own. This is information you should always know before you have any type of medical procedure done

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Definitely!

Quoting storkradio193:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN