Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's Better?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 26 Replies
Okay two things...

Are using paper plates better than using normal plates? Cheaper?
How about using paper towels vs cloth towels?

My dad keeps saying it's cheaper to eat off paperplates but why? My sister swears her family is healthier because she uses paper towels hence the doctor bills are lower (cheaper to buy paper towels).
What do u think? What do u use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

we only use paper plates when my parents visit because they insist on it, saves time, but they're not cheap and some are utter crap. rinsing/washing a real dish takes a lot less water and energy than it takes to MAKE a paper plate.....

We use both paper and cloth towels in the kitchen. I prefer cloth, but some messes just call for paper (or like draining browned ground beef or bacon or something, paper is preferred. I'm not exactly sure about the health benefits of paper towels versus cloth, I mean, if you wash on hot, the cloth will get clean, and if you swap them out when they're dirty often enough, there shouldn't be much reason to worry about getting sick from them.....

BonitaM
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM

We only use paper plates for camping or parties.  I think it's way more expensive to do so on a daily basis.  I do think paper towels are more convenient but not necessarily more sanitary. However, I do think they  are more expensive.  I use papertowels over cloth towels though.......convenience prevails. lol  

Crisd77
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Yeah...we use them for specific things like pizza or hot dogs but I don't use paper plates everyday. I thought running the dishwasher would be cheaper
We have both paper towels and cloth dish rags and use what's appropriate. My sister uses paper towels in her bathrooms instead of hand towels. I thought that was weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I never understood the paper towels in the bathroom thing....arent your hand CLEAN when you dry them?

I only use paper towels when it is a big nasty mess that would take more than one cloth rag or for wiping up really germy stuff like raw meat juices.

ETA we only use paper plates with a crowd at home or when taking our food on vacation(my middle son is gluten free so we bring alot of our own foods)

Quoting Crisd77:

Yeah...we use them for specific things like pizza or hot dogs but I don't use paper plates everyday. I thought running the dishwasher would be cheaper
We have both paper towels and cloth dish rags and use what's appropriate. My sister uses paper towels in her bathrooms instead of hand towels. I thought that was weird.

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM
We hardly ever use paper plates, like practically never. We use cloth towels in the bathroom and kitchen, but I also use paper towels in the kitchen for certain things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I agree. I have seen the paper towels in the bathroom, and never could figure out why?

Quoting SuperPickle:

I never understood the paper towels in the bathroom thing....arent your hand CLEAN when you dry them?

I only use paper towels when it is a big nasty mess that would take more than one cloth rag or for wiping up really germy stuff like raw meat juices.

ETA we only use paper plates with a crowd at home or when taking our food on vacation(my middle son is gluten free so we bring alot of our own foods)

Quoting Crisd77:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Us too

Quoting kamrynlily07:

We hardly ever use paper plates, like practically never. We use cloth towels in the bathroom and kitchen, but I also use paper towels in the kitchen for certain things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

We use real plates to eat off. Unless I am hosting a picinic in the park, I am not spending a small fortune on paper plates.  Also, unlike my grandfather (my dad's father) I don't think it is appropriate to make guests eat bbq on those flimsy things.  We use both paper towels and cloth towels for cleaning.  I use the paper towels to dust with, and clean the inside of windows, and mirrors.  The cloth towels are used to dry dishes.

chinosruca
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My mother in law would NEVER serve food on anything other than paper plates. She doesn't even own real plates. It wastes water to wash them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM
When I don't feel like doing dished we use paper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)