Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Gluten Free? Update in comments

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter (7) has chronic abdominal pain.  She's suffered with this for about 19 months now.  She's been through all sorts of tests and tried all sorts of medications.  The doctor from the Children's Hospital believes that she is having stomach spasms and has given her a medication to ease them, which has helped tremendously, but there are still very few days when she is not in pain.  The problem is, nobody knows what is causing these spasms.  She tested negative for celiacs but we were told that was an unreliable test. We thought we'd try going gluten free for a time and see if that makes any difference.  She has been gluten free for 9 days now and I'm not seeing any difference.  My question is: How long should we try this before checking this off the list?

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chinosruca
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM
When I was on an elimination diet (trying to figure out if a food was causing a certain health problem) my doctor had me eliminate for 30 full days before she could accurately make a decision. Not sure if it is the same for celiac disease though.

Could it be dairy? Dairy caused me a lot of problems when I was young. I found dairy in LOTS of stuff. I was super super sensitive. I could not eat chocolate or a lot of baked goods that had milk in it. Just the slightest drop of milk in anything caused me problems. Luckily, I outgrew it by my 30's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kris on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quoting chinosruca:

Could it be dairy?  

That was the first thing they thought it was, so we eliminated that for the first month.  I just wish we could find out whatever it is so that we can deal with it. I hate that she lives in pain.  It's to the point that when she doesn't hurt, she's amazed. :(

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Bump
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I hope they find out what is going on~ hugs.

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Actually eliminating gluten can make symptoms WORSE for several weeks. It is your body basically detoxing from it. 

My son has always had bad abdominal and constipation issues and we switched him to GF and it has been phenomonal after those first few weeks.

i wouldnt strike GF just yet.

FresshAir
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Hubby is gluten intolerant; we had to stay off gluten entirely for 12 weeks, then had to re-introduce it to see if the symptoms can be recreated. It's complicated at first but it gets easier. Now I am a self-proclaimed expert LOL! I am here if you need anymore advice on this- good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FresshAir
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM
BTW... He is also dairy intolerant, so we are GF/DF in our house. Meals were *intersting* at first. They're much better now that I've learned so much.

Quoting FresshAir:

Hubby is gluten intolerant; we had to stay off gluten entirely for 12 weeks, then had to re-introduce it to see if the symptoms can be recreated. It's complicated at first but it gets easier. Now I am a self-proclaimed expert LOL! I am here if you need anymore advice on this- good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kris on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:01 AM

The thing is, she doesn't seem to have any digestive issues, per se.  No constipation, no diarrhea, no excess gas or bloating.  She just hurts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN