Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you forget a child?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 405 Replies
27 moms liked this

I'm not trying to be mean but after hearing yet another news report about a child left in a hot car, I have to wonder how a parent forgets their child?

I have 4 kids and I have always been cautious. From the time of just 1, I have always been highly vigilant in making sure all the kids were where they were supposed to be... I can't imagine just forgetting to drop someone off at day care and leaving him/her in the car. I am constantly doing head counts, making sure all are present and accounted for, or mentally checking off that all kids have been dropped off.

A friend of mine joked about a family at her church, they have 9 children. They got all the way home and unloaded when someone from church called to tell them they'd left one of their kids behind. How does that happen? My friend thought it was quite funny. My thought was what if that had happened at the local Walmart or park? You have that many kids, how do you not do a head count?

I grieve for those children that have suffered this summer but what is wrong with the parents?

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM
4 moms liked this

I put my purse in the backseat with her.  I really dont understand it either.  Ok men, but for a woman to do it, just seems craczy!

MommyAJ2921
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM
8 moms liked this

I'm with you...there is no WAY I'm forgetting either one of my babies. NO way.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM
3 moms liked this
It makes me sad to hear the stories to. I never forget my kids! I don't think your friend would be laughing if she forgot one of her kids somewhere.
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM
64 moms liked this
Usually its people who aren't used to having the kids with them at those times.
I do the opposite, I go to get my kids out of the van when they aren't with me then briefly panic until I remember where they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand how you can "forget" that your child is in the car either. 

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM
18 moms liked this

I can actually understand it, if the parent doesn't usually have the child with them and it's just not part of their routine.  We all get into our groove and kind of go on "auto-pilot".  Or, if we're with our SO, we can assume that he's watching the child and they assume we are.  It just happens.  Sad, but true.

jadedcynic
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never left any of mine, but I remember as a kid we once forgot about  the baby in the car. She was sleeping, there were so many of us. She was fine, and still is today with her own brood.

pinkcookie019
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:52 AM
26 moms liked this

As a seriously sleep deprived new mother (with my first), I once forgot where I put my son. I laid him down for a nap in my bedroom in his little floor bassinet (it was on my side of the bed next to the wall. Very low and I have a huge, high king size bed so I can't see it from the door), and went to fold laundry. When I came out of the laundry room I looked at his swing for him and freaked out when I didn't see him. I ran all over the damn house,  I looked in his bedroom, went to the bouncer in the playroom, the playpen in the den, and finally checked in my bedroom. I was seriously seconds away from calling the police, convinced he was kidnapped because I just KNEW I put him in the swing...nope lol. Brain fail.  It's not the same as a car, but I'm sure that's probably one reason it happens to infants. 

DSC_0460asdf

mrsary
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:54 AM
12 moms liked this
It has not happened to me, but I am constantly checking on them if they are quiet. Quietness is not normal for my children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myoldest1999
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM
6 moms liked this
I agree 100%. No one should forget their children, man nor woman. I sometimes wonder if these people do it on purpose ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)