Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Free/Reduced Lunch

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM
  • 54 Replies

Today I registered my daughter for her junior year of high school. Part of that included turning in the paperwork for free/reduced lunch for her.      

exDH and I divorced in October and I only work part time right now.

I have applied for a promotion at work and so far it's looking really good for me. If I get the job then it will be full time and my pay will almost triple, making it so that my DD will no longer qualify for the free lunch.

I talked to the finance lady about that and she said the change in my financial status won't matter. That she is approved for free lunch based on my income now and that would be good for the entire school year, even if I get the promotion.

Am I the only one who thinks that that is kind of wrong?

Right now we need the help and I am thrilled that it's available, but when I no longer need it there is no way for me to stop it, she will continue to get the free lunches for the entire year regardless of my change in pay.

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM
3 moms liked this

She didn't tell you the truth. Any time your income changes, you have to reapply. That is how people are able to get it later in the year if a parent loses a job too. If you check the paperwork/website, it'll tell you to let them know when things change.

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I know in our school system if your income changes, you have to let them know.  I would apply now and then inform them when your promotion officially goes through.  If at that point, they say she can still keep the free/reduced lunch, then you've done what you can and shouldn't feel guilty.  But, yeah, I agree.  It does seem kind of wrong.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM
If she's telling you the truth then yes I don't agree with it. That said...if she's right have you considered donating that money monthly to a program like meals on wheels or something? It won't be going to the school, but would be going to a good cause.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babycolt
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I never thought to ask about getting help w lunches. I'm about to have a baby and need the help for a little while. Thanks
smushy79
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

That doesnt sound right. I would think anytime there is an income change it should be reported and then reflected accordingly. I agree with you though, if it is the policy that your DD will get the free/reduced lunch for the year even if you income increases, then yes, it is a waste.

virgochild79
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Ok so,,,tell them to forget about your paperwork and pay for her lunch. You don't HAVE to fill out the paperwork for free/reduced lunch.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

she didn't tell you the truth .... you have two option one going and change your financial statements when you get the promotion or two leave it alone and donate the extra money ( that would be used for lunches ) to the PTO/ PTA for field trips extra ... even the sports departments/ FFA gladly take donations ... every little bit helps them ....

soymujer
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

The more students they have that qualify for free/reduced lunches, the more money they get from the government.  Yes, backwards but that's how it works.  I'm a teacher at our district.  My hubby just got fired from his job.  So, I applied for free/reduced lunches for my 4 kids and we qualified for free.  No, my hubby won't be jobless for the whole school year, but we need the help now.  I could barely afford full price when we both were working for all four. 

family in the van   Mom of four

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Our paperwork specifically states that if our income increases more than $150 a month we have to submit new forms. 

JulesFairy
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I woudl apply now since the free and reduced lunch options also determine funding from the government, and then when your promotion goes through just contact the lunch room manager or front office for a new form. If they say your still qualify and you don't use it the money still goes to the school, if you don't qualify then you are paying for lunch. Either way your conscience it clear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN