Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Wild kids at the bus stop, what would you do?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM
  • 69 Replies

I usually drive my youngest to school- I prefer it, I like the time in the car with her on the ride. But she wanted to try out the bus in the morning- she takes the bus HOME, but not TO school usually- at any rate I've walked her down to the bus stop (about 4 houses down from our place) and stood with her while we wait for the bus. There are about 15 kids down there, most of which are close in age to my daughter (6). NO adult. The kids are going crazy, beating each other with sticks, pushing each other off these big decorative rocks, dragging each other by their shirts through the mulch, one little girl almost got hit by the bus the first day I was down there, so close it actually brought tears to my eyes instantly I was so convinced she was going to be run over by that bus, she actually hit the little arm that comes out in front of the bus, she made a last second decision to bolt in front of the bus, she missed being run over by INCHES, if that. At any rate, I've called the school and told them what's going on- my daughter still wants to ride the bus in the mornings, but I just don't want to be down there to see these kids - it's like "Lord of the Flies" down there- I don't want to witness them getting hurt, which they will eventually, and I don't want to be put in the position of supervising the wild little things, and frankly I don't want my daughter around them-

anyone else ever experience this? What would you do?

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissam78
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
First off at 6 yrs old that's too young to be waiting for the bus w/out a parent/adult for safety/supervision.I would speak w/the bus garage and at least ask that the parents on that route/bus stop be notified that there are unsafe situations going on and that a parent/guardian needs to be w/their child while waiting for the bus,I would see this as common sense ANYTHING could happen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahm_of_rj
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM
The teacher in me would make me want to instill order lol. Seriously I would intervene if the kids were going in the street, that's not safe. If the fighting is anymore than playing(one of the kids is being targeted, or someone is upset) I would intervene there too. Other than that I would probably just keep my daughter away from the ruckus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting sahm_of_rj:

The teacher in me would make me want to instill order lol. Seriously I would intervene if the kids were going in the street, that's not safe. If the fighting is anymore than playing(one of the kids is being targeted, or someone is upset) I would intervene there too. Other than that I would probably just keep my daughter away from the ruckus.

I tried to tell a little boy to get out of the middle of the street (nicely) and he said, "I don't have to, I like standing in the street" wth??

sheiladwinell
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I take my kids to the bus stop every morning, I make my kids stay right with me and ignore the other children. We have the same problem with other kids acting like wild animals. :( You may try loading her up in the car and driving the short distance and keeping her in the car until the bus gets there and stops. :) 

sahm_of_rj
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Kids :-/ I would keep contacting the bus garage and the school

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Quoting sahm_of_rj:

I tried to tell a little boy to get out of the middle of the street (nicely) and he said, "I don't have to, I like standing in the street" wth??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sheiladwinell:

I take my kids to the bus stop every morning, I make my kids stay right with me and ignore the other children. We have the same problem with other kids acting like wild animals. :( You may try loading her up in the car and driving the short distance and keeping her in the car until the bus gets there and stops. :) 

I thought of this too...keep her in the bubble, lol.

BMof2SMof2
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM
5 moms liked this
If I were you I would steer clear of the bus stop. If something happens and you are the only adult present you may be held responsible if something were to happen to one of those poor unsupervised little brats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheiladwinell
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Quoting sheiladwinell:

I thought of this too...keep her in the bubble, lol.

I have to with my kids, the first daughter my 6yr old and another kid were playing and Zoe (mine) almost got hit, so  now all 3 have to stay in my car. "I'm a mean mommy" so they say lol

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

seriously 6 is too young to be at a bus stop by themselves ... my DD takes the school every day to and from school the bus stop is 3 houses down from mine and as she is older now (nearly 9) I walk out with her but stay on the front porch while she goes and waits for the bus, all the other kids at the stop come with their mom and are younger than her so it's not a problem.

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

we had a monster crew at our stop for several years. I learned to time the bus perfectly by leaving our house at the exact time where we would pretty much arrive the moment the bus did. 

ETA and once the bus driver called asking us to come a little earlier because a few times we had to run for the bus I told her exactly WHY we did not want to be up there any earlier. After that I guess she finally got it and some parents were contacted.....didnt do much good though the mom was as nasty as the kids. They moved last year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN