Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
  • 64 Replies

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

When I got pregnant, I told my now-ex that there would be no juniors or same-names of any kind. 

I don't like the idea of every boy in the family having the same name, with a jr. or a number tacked on to it.

LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I like family names BUT not ones that everyone feels MUST be used (Jrs, III's, ect....). Both my daughters have a "family" name (Jean and Denise) but they are names the ex and I liked too. The baby on the way will have my husbands Christian name (Francis) even though were athiest lol.

KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Generally, I like family names but if I don't like a name I won't use it. My ex-husband wanted to use Joseph Michael if we had a boy. That kid would have been the 4th which I was not wild about and I just don't like the name Joseph. We ended up comprimising though and if we had had a boy he would have had the initials JMM like his Dad,Granddad and great granddad.

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM
4 moms liked this

We did it with our oldest.  Kenneth is from my dad and Page is from my husband.  I feel that my dad (and my husband) is a great man and it's an honor to keep his name alive through our child.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

edelweiss23
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM
My son is named after his grandfather. We call him by the Irish equivalent of his grandfathers name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahm_of_rj
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM
My DH wanted to name our son after his father, first middle and last the same. I wanted to ditch my fil's first name entirely but my DH was having none of it. We compromised and named him Richard Jacob, and we call him RJ. I am glad we did it now, at the time I wasn't thrilled. Our baby has DH's name as his middle name too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAUNDRYAGAIN
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:20 AM
The only family name we continue are the middle names. There are a tons of us with Marie and Edward and Lynn. My mom my daughter and I are Marie my Sister my Sister in law and other daughter are Lynns. My DH and my son are Edwards.:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM
My grandpa dad and brother are all Walt .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambercates
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM
We have 2 sons the first named Caden Andrew after dh whose name is Andrew! The 2nd Colten William after my dad and both my grandpas! I would rather use them as middle names!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomma35
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Not a fan either. My dad went through that, he is a 3rd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)