Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
MomE3
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM
My grandpa, dad and brother all share a name My dh and his biological dad share a first name but when we had our son it wasn't me but my hubby who was dead set against any family name He wanted him to be his own person and I love it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadsW
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Our youngest's middle name is a family name. :) I like it, but then, I really like the name and it's a middle name (so, no biggie) and there was no pressure to use it; it was our idea. If any of those factors were different, I'd probably have a different opinion. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I don't mind honoring ppl, if it's meaningful.  That seem more like tradition than just honoring someone special.

sammyze
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

If it means that much to him, maybe you can compromise and choose William for his middle name. It's good to remember your child's roots come from both families and keeping the name somehow in the family (ie middle name) can be a good way to honor your husband and his side of the family while creating your own traditions. :-)

AphrexiaX
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My son is named after my Grandfather. He has 2 middle names, his second middle name is my grandfather's last name (my mom's maiden name). And there are several James and Pauls in my family on both sides. He will be dropping his bio dad's last name when he turns 18 and can legally change his name.

AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Depends on the name I guess. My middle name is Honor and we also gave it to my DD as her middle name...it is my grandmother's first name. We all love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM
My oldest son is the IV. My husband and I call him Samuel, most other people call him Sam. I wanted the family name because I thought it would be cool to have a son who is the 4th. I wouldn't have named him Samuel if I planned on calling him by his middle name, Sam, or Little Sam.
mama2KiraEthan
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM
I'm not a fan of Jrs' or numbered names...but we use godparent anmes as middle name. We use Marie or Joseph as middle names with a mention of their godparents name. DD- Kira Marie Cynthia (Cynthia is her godmothers name) DS- Ethan Daniel Joseph (Daniel is his god-father's middle name)
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Working in the financial product industry, I've seen a lot of people get screwed over because they've got the same name as a less responsible family member.  For example, dad gets turned down for his home refinance because junior's repossessed car turns up on his credit report.  It can usually be sorted out, but it's a hassle.  I told my DH no Jr's because he has such a common name.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am for family names.  Or at least some sort of tradition.  I don't think you HAVE to name your son William as a first name, but as a middle name just to keep it the tradition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN