Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I work in a jail and I have seen sveral people arrested for their father or son's warrants because they have the same name.

Quoting Babujai:

Working in the financial product industry, I've seen a lot of people get screwed over because they've got the same name as a less responsible family member.  For example, dad gets turned down for his home refinance because junior's repossessed car turns up on his credit report.  It can usually be sorted out, but it's a hassle.  I told my DH no Jr's because he has such a common name.

Pukalani79
by Kris on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I think it's a neat way to honor the family.  On my dad's side it was something like that although my mom and dad broke it with my brother.  My kids are all named (at least in part) after someone in the family and they love that.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

We gave our boys family names for their middle names.  ODS has DH's middle name, which was also DH's grandfather's name.  YDS has DH's father's name for his middle name.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I think it's a neat way to honor the family.  On my dad's side it was something like that although my mom and dad broke it with my brother.  My kids are all named (at least in part) after someone in the family and they love that.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

buggies_mommy
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone! My husband just insists that it MUST be a first name. I have William's on my side of the family too (my grandfather and uncle) but I'm just not a fan of such a traditional name. Hopefully we will have another girl so this won't be an issue! Lol!

hollydaze1974
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM
well, we are on my dad's side ggfather was John William, grandfather was John William. My dad AND his brothers all have the first name John and they went by thier middle names. My first male cousin is John "R" and my first born son is R.J. for Robert John. My female first cousin was the first to break tradition...(but she stuck in the "J's"). If this a really big deal to him...I'd incorporate it somewhere....he should get a say in his own traditions just like you should get your huge deals for other traditions, too. Also keep in mind, William can be bill,billy, or will...(willy, but not recommending that one lol)

Oh! I forgot to add , if my sil did not have a female variant of my fil's I would have worked his into ds2, but since it was, he has my DH's first name as his middle and an Ryan as his first which is not related to anyone in the family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I'm not a fan of Jrs. I don't mind using the name as a middle name though. To each their own though.
KKmommy3
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I don't like family names either.  It is dumb. I don't see why everyone as to have the same name, how about being original?   The last name is the same, so there you have it.  

My brother "had' to have his dod's name, but a couple years latermy mom caught Dad getting a BJ in the front seat of his car in front of his work, and then after my mom forgave him for that, he  started seeing another woman who had a son and a few other kids from other men who were not in her custody, my dad left us and went off to raise the other woman's son and let him take our last name, and was a deadbeat dad if there ever was one. And my brother is left with a constant reminder of the loser he was named after!  You never know.

KKmommy3
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

why is it the men who always care so much obout having a boy and naming it after them?

rwblake2011
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Both my sons have my maiden name as part of there name. And my ods has my brother and grandfathers name as his middle name. Had i had another girl she would have been named after my grandma. I like family names to a point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Well all we knew was when we had our first girl. Her middle name would be hubby's mothers middle name. She passed away in 1995 and he has wanted to do that. I love the name too.

With our second we gave her a middle name that was close to an anut that was and is very supportive and important in our lives.

Our third just happens to have a lot of grandmothers name. We knew we wanted to use his grandmothers name at some point and time. Just never went with our seconds first name. When we were talking about grandparents one time with my Mom she said a name and I just fell in love with it. Her first name is a combo of those two grandmothers. Then we just picked a middle name. Found out it was my great great grandmothers name on my birth mothers side.

We do agree there are no juniors and well hubby does not like his name. He hates how common it is and well his middle name he has is common too but it is because he has never met anyone with this name that has been nice. Also for us to choose boys name are hard. We have had the same boys named picked out since our first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)