Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
buggies_mommy
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

THIS!!! Exactly...they get the last name, so it seems to me the "family" name sticks!! I just don't want to have a Bill, Billy, Will, Willy, etc...I just do not like that name!!!

Quoting KKmommy3:

why is it the men who always care so much obout having a boy and naming it after them?

taz1993
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM
dh is a 3rd. not sure if we would have used his name if we had a son. dd has a family name for a middle name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAJ2921
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM

My ex dh's first name starts with M, his firstborn son's name starts with M and my 2 sons first name both start with M. I didn't mind and we picked their names together...it only gets frustrating if I'm trying to catch either of them LOL...

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I didnt. :) dh is william his dad is william there are a few williams in his moms family (moms family 152 first cousins about 10 diffent first names amunst them they are weird with using same names...) I dont like the name I dont like the nicknames associated with it. dh knows the pain esp for males with having the same names forever so we didnt do it. look into the issues with having the same name... then point them out :) if all else fails YOU had to deal with growing the baby you can name it :)  give first son the middle name william or son and dh can have same middle name.

vladtepic
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Let the kid develop their own distinctive personality and name.  I want to be remembered for me and not necessarily a relative..  A family name for a middle name but not a fist name !

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

If I like the name, I want to honor the person that my child will be named after and it's a person that I know I will never grow to dislike to the point where I will later regret having named my child after them then I wouldn't have an issue passing their name off onto one of my children.

If you don't like William, then stick to your guns and don't name your child that.  For me I loved my husbands name a lot, and I know he is a person that I will never fall out of love with, so I named my son after him.  For me I don't regret it and my son really does suit his name, he enjoys it and loves that his fathers named it too, so for both father and son it's an honor.

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I would do it because I like traditions like that.

CafeMom Tickers
NuttyMomma
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I am not a fan of Family names, My Family has this tradition of giving the first born son the father's first name as their Middle Name. i told my DH as much as I Adore his Name that I would not be following that tradition. ther ewere enough David's be it first or middle name in my family. So we choose Louis, it has family connections on Both sides. Its a middle name. My sister on the other hand has given each of her daughters the same middle name as hers. Only thing we did was choose Hebrew names Since David is considered Hebrew, so I got alot of head turns with Mathew and Zacharias.

lnrmom
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Its a tradition. If hubby wants it, go for it. But pick a middle name you like. If he gets first, you get middle since traditionally that will be what he is called.
jamieharper08
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I actually love them :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)