Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

We named our son after my husband. Not because of any family tradition or anything. We just wanted to. 

I don't care what anyone else does or names their child. But I am big on tradition so if it were me, I'd probably go for it. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I do not like nor dislike them. DS's middle name is his Daddy's middle name but his first name is just a name we both liked. We had a list of 6 names we liked when I was admitted and decided to wait to see him before choosing. I was taken to x-ray immediately after my c-section so DH ended up making the final decision. Said he just looked like a Korbin:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I agree with you, and I have had the same argument with my husband. The issue in HIS family is that the name is a huge deal for the first born son of each generation, UGH! They have the same first, middle, and last name, and even Roman numerals. My dh is a 4th, or a IV. The first name is okay, it is the middle name I hate. The middle name is what my FIL goes by. I love my FIL, but I don't like him very much. He cheated on my MIL and then made a whole new family with a much younger woman. He always seems so slimy to me, and I didn't want my son to have a name associated with a man I didn't really respect.

I had to fight tooth and nail to get my dh to understand that I just could not give that name to our son, if we had one. We have a dd and we are done so it became a moot point. What I would try to do is come with a compromise that works for you. Perhaps, William can be the middle name?

dcdmattison03
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

My son has his dads first name but it is spelled differently and the middle names rhyme. My daughter on the way will have my late SIL middle name as her middle name

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

blessedmom1978
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM

My oldest DS is from a previous relationship. He has his fathers first name but not his middle. My youngest DS is name after my DH and is the III.

Legalboxer
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I am all for family names but that is because i am so into family tradition... but would never name someone a name if i didnt like it... (long ago, i vowed never to name my kids names i wouldnt call them)

never feel pressured to name your kid something you dont like, but also appreciate the family history if that is your style.

Amanda.D09
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM
When I was pregnant with my daughter I wanted to use family names, but to the extent she would have the exact same name as someone else. Instead we named her Ella (for her paternal grandmother) Murphy (my maiden last name).
MamaJess9
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I don't have an issue with it, as long as I like the name. I wouldn't name my child something I didn't like just because it's tradition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannille33
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I agree.. Both my sons are have their fathers middle name ( the have different fathers due to 2 different marriages. And I wasn't thrilled but allowed it.
smushy79
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I agree with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)