Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you feel about family names?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband, his dad, and his grandfather (and back a few more generations) all had the first name of "William", but go by their middle names. My husband is convinced that if we ever have a boy, his first name HAS to be be William, just because of this so-called tradition. I'm really not a fan of family names, I just don't see the point of naming my child something that I don't like! What are your thoughts??

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (61-64):
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I like them, so long as the names are not simply horrible names.  We have one through my husband that was passed to our son and it's the middle name of Rosser.  My husband actually use to hate the name, which is his middle name, and so on back through the first sons of first sons, until I looked up it's meaning... He who wields the mightest spear" is one meaning, so of course now he digs it, lol.  It's also Welsh and both our famlies are from Wales, so that's cool too.

I don't know, I think that tradition has it's place and it can be a very good thing if you continue it for the right reasons.  Since all those named that pretty much go by their middle names why not do the same for your son?  Give him the name out of tradition but call him by the middle name you choose for him.  OR give that as his middle name as a compromise with your husband.  Hell, you can give him more than one middle name too, there's no law on how to do it, but not adding it in somewhere could cause a serious point of contention.  

ttsmommy2008
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM
My younger son (he is #2 of 3, older bro and younger sis) is a "Jr."
I did NOT want to name him that (a Jr., after his father). But, with his incredibly overbearing and psychotically controlling stepmother shoving her nose into it, he (my ex, my two youngest's father) began to 'like' the idea...even though he admitted to me that he didn't even like his own name--he didn't want to put it on his son, too. But, his stepmother kept being 'her usual self', putting in her very much UNwanted input!
My son is a "Jr.", having the same full name as his father...my son's grandfather also shares the first and last name (he has a different middle name). But, when all three of them are together, you have THREE people with the same name! Talk about confusing...and annoying! That's beside the fact that I just plain HATE the name, period.

So, after all of this...why does my son have this name, you ask?
Well...after a crappy labor--that was riddled with tons of undue stress--his parents (including his psycho stepmom were in the L&D Room with us.
After several hours of laboring, and then giving birth to my son, the Dr asked what we were naming him. My ex/son's father was holding the baby, he turned around to look at me...he had that "What are we naming him?"-look on his face. He then uttered, "Junior?"
I just looked at him, with a blank expression--the Dr was still tending to me...examining me, 'down there'.
I just plopped my head back, down on the bed/pillow and I just said, "I don't care anymore. I don't care what you name him."
I was done, I was completely exhausted, both physically and mentally. I just couldn't fight them.
I couldn't even try to stand up against his extremely overbearing family anymore.

If a family name has special meaning AND everyone likes and agrees with the name, then that's fine.

*** Please Help Find My MISSING Babies!!! ***sad

www.facebook.com/pages/Find-Larry-and-Trinity-Grant -- (my oldest son, the little ones older brother started this page for his little brother & sister, please "like" and "share").
www.facebook.com/find.trinity.larry -- (a "Seeking TheLost" page).

Ladyteancum
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I don't like it. My DH'sfamily does something like that. We broke tradition. We named our children what we wanted and after who we wanted. My dad and brother and nephew all have the same first name. So do my mom, sister and niece. My Niece just had a baby and she broke tradition as well.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Well, DS's 1st and middle names are family names, my idea. DD's middle name is my moms 1st name. Her 1st name, we just liked. DH would've been a III, if mil didn't speak up. DH actually said he didn't want a jr, and he feels jr are an arrogance from the dad. What HE said, not me. Lol I suggested using MIL's maiden name as DS's 1st name for various reasons. DS got DH, his dad, and grand dad's middle name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN