Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you remember the smell of your favorite hairspray? As a child of the 1980s and early 1990s, the smell of Rave and Aqua Net bring back horrible images of gigantic, crunchy bangs. You know, the kind that wouldn?t budge for 3 days if you were walking through 80 mph winds in a rainstorm. My mom called my bangs ?The Claw,? and, unfortunately has many photographs to prove how unflattering and ridiculous the hairstyle was. But, oh, on school picture day, how the girls? bathroom smelled like Rave. We?d be lined up in a row, much like a firing squad, only our weapons were a can of aerosol hairspray in one hand and a pick in the other. Teasing our bangs until they stood up on end, we would have competitions to see who could get their bangs off of their forehead the highest. What was your spray of choice and how high was the highest hair in your school!?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

LOL!  I remember those days... though, I didn't go very high with my bangs!  Maybe an inch to an inch-and-a-half.  That's it! :)

Seriously, though, I remember some girls with bangs like 6 inches above their head.  No joke.

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
No I don't remember.
jakesmom323
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Ohhhh I remember! I used to remember in the mornings when my "claw" was not looking good, that I could not wait for these to be out of style;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMCMSM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Rave was my brand of choice.... I had my hair short on one side 1 1/2 inch and it got longer as it went around to chin length and a 2 fool long rat tail in a braid. Permed and topped off with massive bangs. Oh and spraying your bangs with hairspray and cooking to a crisp with the curling iron worked amazing.

RainyDayLazy
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM
What's that purple hair spray with the kangaroo on the front? I used that one a lot. My hair is very thin in the front and never made it up through the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL! It was Jr. High for me. When I got to High School it was Rachel from Friends who set the hair trend, but in Jr high I used Aqua Net, and my hair looked exactly like a bird's nest. I got my technique from my bff Chrissy. I curled three sausage shaped curls on top of each other horizontally on the bangs, then teased them, then used the pick, then sprayed it liberally with the Aqua Net. The rest I just put mousse on when it was wet and scrunched it. :)

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

LOL~

I remember those days. Aqua net was the spray of choice :)

AphrexiaX
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM

White rain and egg white. But mine wasn't for bangs but for a 12 inch mohawk. I wish my ex hadn't burned all the pictures and such from that time.

devoesgirl
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Oh yeah! I had me some big ass bangs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Aqua Net

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN