Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you remember the smell of your favorite hairspray? As a child of the 1980s and early 1990s, the smell of Rave and Aqua Net bring back horrible images of gigantic, crunchy bangs. You know, the kind that wouldn?t budge for 3 days if you were walking through 80 mph winds in a rainstorm. My mom called my bangs ?The Claw,? and, unfortunately has many photographs to prove how unflattering and ridiculous the hairstyle was. But, oh, on school picture day, how the girls? bathroom smelled like Rave. We?d be lined up in a row, much like a firing squad, only our weapons were a can of aerosol hairspray in one hand and a pick in the other. Teasing our bangs until they stood up on end, we would have competitions to see who could get their bangs off of their forehead the highest. What was your spray of choice and how high was the highest hair in your school!?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Izsarejman
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM
I liked Salon Selectives because it smelled like apple.

If I wasn't in my iPad, I would impress you with my hair claw.
Flightymom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

LOL!  yes, I committed many fashion transgressions in the '80's and '90's.  I used Paul Mitchell hairspray on my bangs, and I'm telling you that stuff was amazing.  I think I could've taken a road trip in a convertible and my hair wouldn't have budged...

virgochild79
by Nia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

OMG yes!!! LOL...I used to spray the crap out of my bangs! I used to have half flipped up and half flipped down, sometimes the whole thing flipped up and to the side lol lol. I used Rave and White Rain, I got my bangs pretty high LOL SMH

ttsmommy2008
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I have never been one to: A) Use hairspray/styling products, B) Follow 'trends', especially for hair, and C) I've always been kind of "tomboy-ish" anyway, so my 'styles' were usually just a simple ponytail or pigtails, or I just wrapped up tightly in a bun.
I was very active and athletic -- I ran track (I was a very speedy little sprinter!
I was always outside doing something ... when I wasn't asleep or in school, I was out riding my bike!
-----
From what I've heard, that widely excessive use of hairspray was the one of the causes of the hole in the Ozone Layer! LOL

*** Please Help Find My MISSING Babies!!! ***sad

www.facebook.com/pages/Find-Larry-and-Trinity-Grant -- (my oldest son, the little ones older brother started this page for his little brother & sister, please "like" and "share").
www.facebook.com/find.trinity.larry -- (a "Seeking TheLost" page).

kerryanneo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Rave and Aquanet (?)  ugh...I can't believe I did that.  I remember this one chick two years older than me had the highest.  God, I look back at pictures of myself from that time and I rip them up immediately.

kerryanneo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Quoting Izsarejman:

I liked Salon Selectives because it smelled like apple.

If I wasn't in my iPad, I would impress you with my hair claw.

Yes!  I forgot about salon selectives..that did smell good!

kerryanneo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

What's that purple hair spray with the kangaroo on the front? I used that one a lot. My hair is very thin in the front and never made it up through the day.

Aussie?

tiredmomma35
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Makes my head itchy
MommeeTo4
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I just remember a girl at my school would use a coke can to "curl" her bangs. Lol

She literally put her bangs on top of a coke can and sprayed them till hard with aquanet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shamroc374
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM
It is so funny that you posted this tonight. I ran out of my Paul Mitchell hairspray yesterday and I did not have time to go get some more so I stopped by Walgreens yesterday on my way home from work to just grab some hairspray. I picked up some Aussie and Loreal hairspray. This morning when I was doing my hair and I sprayed it, the smell brought back memories of high school. Rave was my hairspray of choice in high school but I used Aussie and Loreal hair products too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)