Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you remember the smell of your favorite hairspray? As a child of the 1980s and early 1990s, the smell of Rave and Aqua Net bring back horrible images of gigantic, crunchy bangs. You know, the kind that wouldn?t budge for 3 days if you were walking through 80 mph winds in a rainstorm. My mom called my bangs ?The Claw,? and, unfortunately has many photographs to prove how unflattering and ridiculous the hairstyle was. But, oh, on school picture day, how the girls? bathroom smelled like Rave. We?d be lined up in a row, much like a firing squad, only our weapons were a can of aerosol hairspray in one hand and a pick in the other. Teasing our bangs until they stood up on end, we would have competitions to see who could get their bangs off of their forehead the highest. What was your spray of choice and how high was the highest hair in your school!?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
RainyDayLazy
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! That's the one. Thanks :)

Quoting kerryanneo:

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

What's that purple hair spray with the kangaroo on the front? I used that one a lot. My hair is very thin in the front and never made it up through the day.

Aussie?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Izsarejman
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Go ahead. Laugh. I did. I just went to my 20 year HS reuinion and we all laughed at our hairdos.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Aqua net and four inches
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAJ2921
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Did you just say WHITE RAIN??? *faints...* WOW...haven't heard that in AGES...lol...I didn't do hairspray..I used an ungodly amount of gel to smooth my hair though...ugh...LOL....

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't use hair spray now but circa 1990-1995 I used the hell out of some White Rain.

blessedmom1978
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Aqua Net Suave, White rain, or whatever was cheap we were poor. I did my hair 3" high usuaallt and was always late to school because it took me forever

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol! White Rain hairspray, a teasing comb, a small curling iron and the blow dryer. Not only would I over/under curl my bangs and make them huge, I'd wing out my sides using the blow dryer. Oddly enough, I never touched the back. Looking back, I probably resembled one of those spitting lizards that flaps out its hood to try to intimidate predators.

Quoting MommyAJ2921:

Did you just say WHITE RAIN??? *faints...* WOW...haven't heard that in AGES...lol...I didn't do hairspray..I used an ungodly amount of gel to smooth my hair though...ugh...LOL....

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't use hair spray now but circa 1990-1995 I used the hell out of some White Rain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM

OMG!!  Too funny!!  My gals and I were Aqua Net chics and there was one girl we knew, Misty, who actually would iron (the days BEFORE the flat iron, or at least before they were available at our local Walgreens, lol!) her hair on the ironing board so it would stick straight up...aaaah, the memories!!!

Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Yes, Firewoman!!  I used that one, too, sometimes... it smelled like Green Apples to be exact!!  What the heck was the name of that stuff...gotta try and look it up now!!

Quoting Firewoman33:

I used one that smelled like apples. I cannot think of the brand though...

ETA: I went to find the name of that hairspray and came across this

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=5074.0

Jen you posted this exact question in 2007. lol

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Ha ha, me too. :D
osubucksbaby
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM
I had some stuff in a black bottle with (I think) pink and green and it smelled like watermelon. I miss it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)