Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mother/daughter time

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter is 6 and I am looking for things to do since her father is deploying. I want to keep her mind off of him not being home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I've been there, it's tough. Most importantly you need to be consistent on your expectations, schedule, and rules. There is already such a huge change, you don't want to add to that upheaval . But if she is behaving right and all that then extra fun stuff is great. I would get family passes to local museums or the zoo. I would plan picnics in the park. Get special craft projects to do. We used to make a deployment chain. It was a paper chain an each week or day (depending on how long you make the chain) you remove a link and it is a count down, a visual reminder that he will be home. Military one source online has resources for you to check out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Put her in after school activities. Try to coach her if you can. 

Mari6443
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM
How about mommy/daughter dates? You can go shopping together, eat at a great restaurant you both love, go to the movies,etc. Just be creative and you'll have lots of fun!:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to the library, park, zoo, museum. Spend quality time in the evening writing letters to daddy about your day. You write one, she writes one. You could mail them weekly or save them as a book for him to read when daddy gets home. You guys could build a big scrapbook of pictures, letters and momentos of the things you do together while daddy is away. Give it to him when he comes home so he doesn't miss out fully.

Good luck. My daddy was away a lot due to the military and my mom kept it pretty fun for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Take her to the zoo, to a local museum, to a park, to a ball game (whatever the sport), to a local high school play, help her come up with something fun to help support the troops, volunteer at an animal rescue, volunteer at a soup kitchen, take a walk around the neighborhood & clean up liter...

Just a few things I could think of! lol

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Great ideas!

Quoting Mari6443:

How about mommy/daughter dates? You can go shopping together, eat at a great restaurant you both love, go to the movies,etc. Just be creative and you'll have lots of fun!:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by Crystal on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Good luck
kourtneya
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

My dh isn't in the military but occasionally is gone overnight for work or camping out with ds for Boy Scouts. DD and I usually just have girl time. We do our hair, makeup and nails. We watch movies and eat popcorn. We just hang out. We don't have money to spare to go out so we just do fun things at home just the 2 of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)