Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling old and unattractive.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 22 Replies
I'm 31. I have always benne the type that likes my own hair color so I don't dye it. I don't wear makeup often because I like my own face. I go for comfort over fashion when it comes to shoes and clothes... But recently I feel old, unattractive, frumpy...,

My hair used to be sleek and I looked nice in a pony tail. Now I resemble medusa with the fly always. I HAVE to put hairspray to keep the majority of the flyaways down.

I saw a pic my DS took of me and I had wrinkles around my eyes! So I smiled in the mirror and I do have wrinkles around my eyes when I smile! Also I have bags under my eyes all the time and dark circles. Now I feel like I should put makeup every day.

Getting gray hairs and until I saw the wrinkles I didn't care.... Now I do.

I feel like I should spend lots of time primping to look nice or I will look old. But I don't know HOW to do my hair and makeup! Where did you learn it???

Ugh. I'm just feeling so unattractive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

((hugs)) I think we've all been there where we see a picture of ourselves and wonder where the time has gone. I never wore makeup but now when I'm leaving the house I use a light foundation to blend everything and a little mascara.

Crisd77
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM
As with everything in life...you need a balance at all times. Ponytails are convenient but ruin your hair with breakage due to it being pulled back all the time. Start wearing it differently...half up, half down perhaps or cut it shorter.

You need to start researching. Keep in mind of your distinct hair qualities. Is your hair naturally curly? Wavy? Work with it. Find styles of celebrities that have similar hair qualities...is your hair thin or thick? Next...study other people's haircuts. If you see a good haircut/style ask that person where they got it. Who did it specifically. Don't let a hairdresser work on your hair if her hair is done awful. A good haircut/styles does not need to cost a fortune. I found my stylist by admiring a mom who's kid is in my son's class. The cut was complicated but done expertly. She is a SAHM, who works out of her home...charges me $35 for cut & style.
Start cutting out pictures to help explain what you love and what you hate in a hairstyle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crisd77
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Makeup: is trial & error unfortunately. I started young and still am learning new tricks.
I like minimal steps to look as natural as possible...make sure you stick to that goal...many makeup consultants over complicate things.
Best thing to do is have your make up done at a makeup counter often to learn techniques to not look like a clown. Truth be told...Revlon, Neutragena & L'Oreal work just as good if not better than MAC, Lancome & Chanel. Although I love Bobbi Brown eye stuff.

Look for one item at a time. Go in looking for a mascara and concentrate on buying the best for your buck. I like Lancome defincils in water resistant, but I also use the Sephora brand mascara since its cheaper.
Bobbi Brown has awesome light coverage tinted moisturizer that I love, but I can't afford it. I have been using a Neutragena light coverage moisturizer and it works well.
Brushes are awesome but many people don't use or wash them correctly. I love using my fingers & Q-tips. Blend...blend...and blend some more!
Have fun. Keep it simple. Experiment often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rbrown72707
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Why don't you go out and get pampered?  Maybe get a nice easy to take care of hair cut and have someone do your makeup for you and give you pointers on how to do it!  I don't feel l ike I need it all the time, but it makes me feel better to do something nice for myself.  It gives that extra boost of confidence I need.  Go buy a new outfit too!

gottalovedrama
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Home spa recipes are awesome too. I use tea bags for my dark circles under my eyes. I use an avacado mask once a week to help with my dry skin and the wrinkles. I love it because it helps me look better but also helps me feel better. I am 32 and sometimes I feel like I am 62.

coolmom405
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I feel the same,...I was never into a lot of make up but sometimes to make me feel better I wear some, very light though. Now my hair has been bothering me so much lately, I wish I could do the Brazilian Keratin to make it straight and shiny...

I usually make I homemade mask for my face with honey for 20 min, it helps a lot, makes my skin firmer and brighter.

thanush
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Have you tried Morroccanoil for hair? My hair got very dry and frizzy after I started ironing it but that oil work wonders..
Also try Vaseline for wrinkles at night. I use it on my hands and it works.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM
I am 34yr old model ( amateur/sophisticate) . My number secret with the bags under my eyes is preparation h. It sounds weird but it shrinks and pulls so they are easier to conceal with less make up. I put it on then use moisturizer then concealer followed by a little bit of minereal foundation and blend away.
CDMelty
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Why is looking old equal to looking unattractive? I ask people this all the time, but no one can explain it to me. I don't dye my grays (and they show; I'm not one of those people who has 2 gray hairs and says I'm going gray), I don't use wrinkle cream, I don't live in a push up bra or a pair of Spanx. I thought about it when I started noticing fine lines and gray hairs. And I did obsess in the mirror and dye my hair for a while, but I can't afford to fight time. I can't afford face lifts and botox and boob lifts, and fighting the inevitable seems like so much work, it sounds exhausting. And honestly, I'd rather get old and look like Jessica Tandy than Joan Rivers, anyway. So I don't care if I look old, or older than I am. I'm 36 and my hair is salt and pepper, and I have saggy skin under my shirt, and some of my fine lines are less fine than they were a year ago. But I want to grow old with DH anyway, so why not look the part? I don't think looking old means looking unattractive.

thecoffeefairy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM
A little makeup around the eyes goes a long way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)