Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling old and unattractive.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm 31. I have always been the type that likes my own hair color so I don't dye it. I don't wear makeup often because I like my own face. I go for comfort over fashion when it comes to shoes and clothes... But recently I feel old, unattractive, frumpy...,

My hair used to be sleek and I looked nice in a pony tail. Now I resemble medusa with the fly always. I HAVE to put hairspray to keep the majority of the flyaways down.

I saw a pic my DS took of me and I had wrinkles around my eyes! So I smiled in the mirror and I do have wrinkles around my eyes when I smile! Also I have bags under my eyes all the time and dark circles. Now I feel like I should put makeup every day.

Getting gray hairs and until I saw the wrinkles I didn't care.... Now I do.

I feel like I should spend lots of time primping to look nice or I will look old. But I don't know HOW to do my hair and makeup! Where did you learn it???

Ugh. I'm just feeling so unattractive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Do you have friends that do their makeup and hair? Ask them. There are some online how-to videos on YouTube both for makeup and hair. You could always go to one of those fancy makeup counters (Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora) & get advice.

I feel like I am in a slump as well. I do now how to do my hair and makeup, I am just tired and lazy!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My cousin taught me to how to braid and french braid. I get all mine off of youtube on different styles. I have a blog a few I have done and really like.

I don't wear make much. Only on special occaions. No one taught me. I don't wear much when I do. Mostly do what I see in pictures or what I have seen done.

kamrynlily07
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Aww, I feel you. I'm 32, and I'm starting to notice wrinkles too :( I had to start dyeing my hair about 6 months ago due to grays. I'm a nurse, so I wear scrubs and a ponytail at work -- very frumpy. When I'm off work, I straighten my hair, and I usually give myself a quick mani/pedi weekly. It only takes a few minutes, and makes me feel better about myself. I wear make up, but only foundation if I'm really dressing up. I have a Burt's bees tinted lip gloss that I carry everywhere. I totally know where you're coming from. Taking a few minutes each week to do things for myself really helps.

I've been wanting to try that garnier anti-wrinkle stick. Wonder if it works? It's pretty expensive..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Aw...from what I can tell in your pic u look hot momma!

I always try and pick up tips from professionals regarding hair/makeup. Like when I go to the salon I ask my hairdresser stuff, and if I visit the makeup counter I ask about product application. I'm big on hair and makeup, but as a new mom I know it's hard to find time to get it all done all the time. Day to day I stick to a simple routine, tinted moisturiser or BB cream, lip gloss or sheer lipstick and a little mascara and liner go a long way.  If you hair is acting up sometimes all you need is a change of shampoo/conditioner. Cheap product can add reside over time.

Feel better - you are beautiful!

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I'm the same way. I have zero fashion sense and even if I had some there aren't a lot of nice clothes in my size. 

I can do light makeup, but if I try something more dramatic I end up looking like a clown. 

wingmom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Wow can I relate. Im 37, and in the past 2-3 years, my hair has noticeably thinned and lost its sheen. I have to let it be curly now ( I used to straighten it) or it looks absolutely awful because it cant withstand the heat of the straightener anymore, it just frizzes way too much. Also my skin pallor has lost its glow. Ugh. I feel really old lately too, dont worry, it happens to many of us I believe in our 30's. I also have a host of health problems I didnt have in my earlier years which I wont even go into lest I make myself sound even older! :)

ambercates
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I feel you, I'm 33, and have started noticing gray hairs and wrinkles around my eyes! I started coloring my hair so that helps! I wear sephora makeup, and they have a great concealer and powder foundation! They can help you, and tell you what colors will work for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM
DH is NOT making it any better. I did my nails last night & he criticized them until I showed him several pics of models with colored tip French manicures. I did my hair & makeup today and wore an outfit I KNOW looks good on me. I asked what he thought and without even looking he said I look nice. I mean really? And it's not like he doesn't know how I'm feeling! I told him last night!

Then I was telling him that he isn't helping how I'm feeling with his behavior and he seriously asked if I took my meds last night!! (PPD) really???? I'm mad and feeling worse now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerryanneo
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I'm 31. I have always been the type that likes my own hair color so I don't dye it. I don't wear makeup often because I like my own face. I go for comfort over fashion when it comes to shoes and clothes... But recently I feel old, unattractive, frumpy...,

My hair used to be sleek and I looked nice in a pony tail. Now I resemble medusa with the fly always. I HAVE to put hairspray to keep the majority of the flyaways down.

I saw a pic my DS took of me and I had wrinkles around my eyes! So I smiled in the mirror and I do have wrinkles around my eyes when I smile! Also I have bags under my eyes all the time and dark circles. Now I feel like I should put makeup every day.

Getting gray hairs and until I saw the wrinkles I didn't care.... Now I do.

I feel like I should spend lots of time primping to look nice or I will look old. But I don't know HOW to do my hair and makeup! Where did you learn it???

Ugh. I'm just feeling so unattractive!

I am so so so sorry he reacted like this...especially when you are down.  It's such a huge downer when you don't get the reaction you would expect (like, "wow, baby you look really great!"  I mean how freaking hard is that?)  and if you are already feeling unattractive, it's like "why should I even try?"  One thing I NEVER EVER do is ask my husband how I look..  And I mean NEVER EVER.  If I have to, I'll ask another chick, but never my husband.  There have been times when I thought I looked great and I asked him and (this is how spoiled I am) he said I looked great, but I didn't get the reaction I wanted...like that wow factor that they get in their eyes sometimes...and it sucked!  I just wanted to take it all off and give up..I know totally spoiled but my point is that it is always way more gratifying when he notices on his own and if he doesn't...well, one I'm not as disappointed as I would've been if I got a bad reaction and two, I try to focus on the fact that since I look good, I feel good, which makes me more pleasant to be around and happier.  Now as for the other issue of how to do hair or makeup.  There are so many options.  You can go to Ulta or even like Macy's and get your colors done.  You don't have to buy anything but you might find some products you like.  Another option is buying a Seventeen magazine.  I know this sounds silly but they teach the basics.  (it's how I learned when I was young).  I am of the personal opinion that you start slow.  I really  liked what one of the ladies said earlier about BB cream.  You can't screw it up and it's great for your skin.  Just get one in a tint that's your skin tone.  After that fill in your eyebrows, put on mascara (you can go clear if you want)  and put on some tinted lip gloss.  That is a really great and easy natural look.  For hair, you could go to professional and just get a gloss which will give it a nice shine.  And as for coloring the greys..a temporary wash out shade that is in your same color is an easy solution.  Hang in there.  I think you're picture looks great.  And just know we all have been there and feel you. 

marscella
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM
You can also get make up tips and what not from having a Mary Kay consultant come to u... They come to ur house and figure out your hues and colors... They give u a make over with no obligation to buy anything. I come from a lIne of Mary Kay consultants ~ 4 to be exact~ lol and they r forever going and doing make overs, make up for weddings etc... The majority of the time they sell make up but it's not required u buy ;) it'll give u a base where to start and what colors look good on u ;)

I thought for years I was doing my make up correctly... Lol. I was I guess u could say but have since switched and hot great beauty tips from them all ;) I wear some Mary Kay stuff some and some almay stuff that I buy at Walmart ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)