Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Superstitions and Old Wives' Tales

Posted by   + Show Post
My grandmother just recently told me one I'd never heard: "Friday night's dream on Saturday told, will sometimes come true, no matter how old."

What are your favorites, or the oddest ones you've ever heard?
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting larabear1:

Did they give a reason as to why a woman would did for bathing during her period?

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

My mother, grandmother, and the rest of the women in my family strongly believed that if a woman bathed, showered, washed her hair, or wash her feet during her period, she will die! When I proved them wrong at fourteen, my grandmother called me disrespectful and claimed I was going to Hell.

Girl, no! They said she would die and that was it. When I asked, "How?" and "Why?", I was being "disrespectful" and "disobedient". My grandmother was born in Louisiana in 1916, while my mother, aunts, cousins, and so forth were born in Louisiana during the 1930s and 1940s, the time where the parents and other adults were supreme authority.You were not supposed to question your elders; if they said that the world was flat and the sky was lime green, then it was. My grandmother and the rest did not question those who told them these myths, therefore they expected me to follow along with the program, also. Let me tell you, I was miserable, stinky and crampy. During that time, no one wanted to sit next to me at school (and I did not blame them, no matter how you wash up at the sink, there is nothing like a shower or bath). When I disobeyed them and took a long and hot bath, my cramps were eased and I smelled fresh! Yet I am still going to Hell.....

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

there are SO many ... one that shocked me one time is that friends came over to the house, and we were waiting for them out on the patio outside with drinks and hors d'oeuvres, then we had dinner etc ... and the husband insisted of leaving through the yard again rather than by the front door of the house. This superstition says : always exit a home the same way you came in !

signingmama2915
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Quoting Babujai:

My mother always puts a penny in a purse that she's giving as a gift to make sure the recipient always has money.

My grandma and cousins did that too

signingmama2915
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

My grandmother used to say that if your foot/feet were itchy it means someone walked over your future grave site, and if your ears were burning people were talking about you.

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

if your right hand itches your getting money or something good is going to happen.. it seem to work most of the time too, its a sensation in the middle of the hand so it cant be forced..

jengo413
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

ive heard one...if u dream someone is pregnant, then someone is going to die

Quoting Babujai:

Dreaming of fish means someone you know is pregnant.

jengo413
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

bad luck to put ur purse on the floor

skyfire27
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I have heard a lot...if you spill salt throw some over your shoulder for luck. always exit the house by the same door you came in or bad luck will follow you. If a broom falls (not by the wind but by itself) it means someone is coming to visit. never blow out a candle always snuff it out because it is bad luck to use one life force to extinguish another...the list could go on and on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN