Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

God knows when you don't tip...

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
  • 209 Replies

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Besides...why would you want to mess with someone who is handling your food? to me that is just plain stupidity...

the3Rs
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM
14 moms liked this
This comment completely negated your argument - and if I knew who you were I'd intentionally get you as my server, order a huge meal & leave no tip. I mean, how rude & childish can you be?!?!

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Besides...why would you want to mess with someone who is handling your food? to me that is just plain stupidity...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Yep people who dont tip are generally assholes.
If you don't have enough money to tip, don't eat out. It is not a right, and no you don't "deserve it". Being waited on is a purchase of service, whether they firce it or not. You know damn well you are supposed to tip.
If your service is bad, speak up. Why would you sit around and tolerate poor service?
Tip people. There is no excuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clei420
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM
11 moms liked this
I leave a tip if I get good service. If I don't approve of my treatment I don't approve tip. As far as 20% I will leave what I want. I have talked to people in the industry and I know how the tip is split up. I feel like if people want bigger tips they should give good customer service. I should have to ask another server for anything or ask management as they wall by to get or fix something for be because my server is doing God knows what. I understand its a hard job that's why I have chosen never to do it. Good Luck getting tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I always tip 20%..... even if service is shitty. My voice is for such cases, I dont like something, I speak up. Im a big girl now :). Im starting to think gratuity should be added to ALL checks.

the3Rs
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM
26 moms liked this

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
This.

Quoting Clei420:

I leave a tip if I get good service. If I don't approve of my treatment I don't approve tip. As far as 20% I will leave what I want. I have talked to people in the industry and I know how the tip is split up. I feel like if people want bigger tips they should give good customer service. I should have to ask another server for anything or ask management as they wall by to get or fix something for be because my server is doing God knows what. I understand its a hard job that's why I have chosen never to do it. Good Luck getting tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually do 15% to 20%, unless it's horrible service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep. Plus 20% is supposed to be for GOOD service. 15% for average and so on. I was also in the service industry. It is a bonus, not part of your salary. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We tip $15 percent usually. If you blow me away with service, it may be much more. If you provide horrible service, it'll be less. There have been times they were lucky I wasn't paying. When I have to wait thirty minutes for a clean utensil after my food arrives, not getting a tip. No they weren't busy, there were maybe three people eating in the whole resteraunt. Food was horrible, service worse. No one to complain to, they didn't care. Never went back either. I tip according to service and if it's horrible, lower tip and we don't return, ever. Our tip doesn't usually reflect the food inless te order was wrong and not appropriately corrected but food quality isn't the servers fault. Our tip directly reflects the service we received. Don't be rude or act like its a burden to serve us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)