Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

God knows when you don't tip...

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Replies (51-60):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I always have been told that 15% is the norm.  I tip 15-20% for good service....10% (and occasionally less) for bad service.

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

There will always be the few morons out there that intentionally go out to eat, or get their hair done or basically ask a service of somebody that is in the service industry knowing they haven't the money for a tip, for those people I have no respect for.

I also have no respect for somebody that works in the service industry and doesn't do a good enough job.

I tip very well (most cases well over 20%) BUT I tip according to service and if somebody is just plain horrible, they are not getting a 20% tip, or even a 15% one... I'm not the type to make a fuss so I won't pull your boss over and complain about your arse and chance you loosing your job, but I will show you how I feel about how well you do your job and treat your customers through my tip.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

I agree with the statement in red. Well I actually agree with everything you said. I hate people acting like tips are required. If they were, we'd be getting billed for it just like we get billed for our food. I mean, these days everyone has a damn tip jar out. The barista at Starbucks, the cashier at the deli I have my breakfast at. I still don't understand why hair dressers get tipped. If I'm paying you for doing a service then what the hell should I tip you for?

I've worked as a housekeeper, cashier at Wal Mart, Medical Assistant at doctor's offices and I delivered Meals on Wheels. Not once did I ever think I deserved a tip for my services. 

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting MySweetRemix: I do not receive a paycheck! i receive a check stub. tips are my paycheck. i only work for tips. 2$ isn't even enough to cover the taxes. my pay check reads $0.00. tips are not extra. they are the only reason i show up to work. it certainly isn't for the check stub.

I meant extra from your paycheck, not extra as in free money.  Yes you have to claim it.  You also make money per hour, so yes you get something in your paycheck.  Servers don't ONLY work for tips. 

Customer don't have to consider your tips your entire paycheck because #1 its not and #2 it's not their responsibility to feed you and/or your family - that's yours.  Your entitlement to a tip reflects your attitude as a server. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting MySweettRemix: Tips are absolutely not extra..servers have to claim their tips to the government. our hourly wage is so small that it only goes to paying the taxes on the tips that we claim. servers depend on tips because they don't receive money in their paychecks. this wouldn't be an issue if tips were actually bonus but we have to claim them and get taxed on them just as taxes are taken from your paycheck. the government considers our tips as our paycheck and you should too. 

I believe you just contradicted yourself...twice.

You get an hourly wage...that is what your paycheck is weekly, bi-weekly or whatever.  You get paid that regardless of your tips.  Tips are extra. And not all places make you share tips with bartenders, etc..

No matter how you slice it, you can't force someone to tip you or guilt them into it.  Customers have the right not the OBLIGATION to tip you or not.  I totally agree if the service is good, the waiter should be tipped it's just polite.  Some people also tip even if it's crappy service, which I don't agree with but whatever - it's their money. 

People who get upset that some people don't tip or don't tip enough should probably find another job.  One where you don't have to rely on tips.  You can't change how people feel or how they want to spend their money.   

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting Firewoman33: Well if you were in the industry then you should know that most of us don't get a salary. my hourly wage is 2.25 an hour. my paycheck every week is zero dollars. the tips aren't a bonus..its all i get paid, the only money that i bring home. 

Yep. Plus 20% is supposed to be for GOOD service. 15% for average and so on. I was also in the service industry. It is a bonus, not part of your salary. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

GreenTeaz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM

And you, my dear, are my new best friend. Never have I heard such truth on cafemom...we must've been separated at birth!

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
You want 20% from me, make DAMNED sure you do your job and leave your baggage at home (you, general). Oh, and smile at my kid and do not act like he is a nuisance or invisible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shamroc374
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Does anyone know how we are suppose to tip the people who work at places that make coffee like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts? I understand they are supplying a service by making our coffee but they do not bring it to our table. We stand there and wait for it. Also, do they make a regular wage or is the same as servers, where they make a lower wage because they are suppose to get tips to make up the difference? How much are we suppose to tip at a buffet??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenTeaz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

this is truth, right here!!!!  

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

I always tip 20%..... even if service is shitty. My voice is for such cases, I dont like something, I speak up. Im a big girl now :). Im starting to think gratuity should be added to ALL checks.

word!

TabM
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I don't have any problem tipping and usually tip quite well but I am curious.....when did it go from 15% to 20% all of a sudden?

It can't be inflation because that is already calculated when you do a percentage. The amount would go up with the rate of food price increase due to inflation.

shamroc374
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Most hairdressers only make 25% of what you pay if even that much. You are technically paying for the building, power, water, products, classes, license fees, classes to stay up to date, their equiptment. All the jobs you mentioned that you didn't get tipped for did not cost you to go to work. Hair stylist have to pay for everything just to be able to do your hair.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting the3Rs:

I agree with the statement in red. Well I actually agree with everything you said. I hate people acting like tips are required. If they were, we'd be getting billed for it just like we get billed for our food. I mean, these days everyone has a damn tip jar out. The barista at Starbucks, the cashier at the deli I have my breakfast at. I still don't understand why hair dressers get tipped. If I'm paying you for doing a service then what the hell should I tip you for?

I've worked as a housekeeper, cashier at Wal Mart, Medical Assistant at doctor's offices and I delivered Meals on Wheels. Not once did I ever think I deserved a tip for my services. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)