Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

God knows when you don't tip...

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Replies (201-209):
chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

actually it is pretty shitty to force a server to wait on you for free (basically stealing out of their pocket) just because you want to have a nice night out. part of the experience of eating in a resteraunt is being waited on and you are expected to pay for that service. if you can barely scrape enough money together for a meal out but don't have enough to tip then you probably shouldn't be spending that money in the first place. and if you do feel that you can afford to spend that money on a meal but don't have money for a tip then get takeout and eat at home where you don't have to leave a tip. I stand by what i said..if you don't have enough money to tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. thats part of the deal. stealing is really not cool and that's exactly what you are doing if you are not leaving an appropriate tip for services rendered. find a different way to treat your family once a month or factor the 20% into your budget.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

You can't change how much people want to tip, or how much they CAN tip.  It is what it is.  For instance if a less than fortunate family scrapes up enough money to take their kids out to eat once a month (and there are many people who struggle to make even that small of a thing happen) and they end up only having a couple or a few dollars left to tip their server that doesn't mean they're shitty people or that they choose to be a shitty tipper - it might be all they have.  Their goal and priority is to have a nice night out with their family, to treat their kids, etc...everyone deserves that - not to fatten their server's pocket for the night.  

Quoting chiquitamama80:

But the thing is that sometimes you can change shitty tippers because they are shitty tippers simply for the fact that they don't know any better. Maybe there's some sweet gal out there bumbling along tippin 10% cuz she doesn't know. maybe she will stumble upon this post and realize that maybe she should bump that up a little. Maybe she'll start experiencing what its like to be waited on by a truly amazing server. that may just add that much happiness to her short and fleeting life. you can't tell me i don't have the power to change someone's mind..maybe i already have. and if that is true then i consider this post a  success.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

NO server is going to openly admit they suck.  It's ALWAYS going to be the customer's fault in the server's eyes.  That is human nature.  MAYBE you're a fantastic waitress or MAYBE you think higher of your service than what is actually there - but regardless you can't demand a good/20% tip from every single customer because YOU feel like YOU deserve it.  And if you don't get it then that customer is on your shit list and you'll wait on them when and how you want to in the future.  That is not being professional, that is NOT doing your job the best you can.  There might be several circumstances that don't allow people to tip to suit your needs, but that doesn't mean they should fuck off and stay home because of it.

On the flip, I can totally see both sides to this.  Some customers are just shitty or at the least shitty tippers plain and simple.  But you can't change them, you can't refuse to help them and you still have a job to do anyway.  And unfortunately your job is to be pleasant wonderful and helpful no matter what.  But again...there are tons of awesome customers out there that go above and beyond and tip WAY more than they should probably.  Those customers make the shitty ones tolerable.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Of course you would go running to the manager if you ever heard a server saying they would give you bad service the next time cuz you din't leave them a decent tip. why do you think im talking about it here? because i can't say shit to cheap assclowns to their face! all i can do is give my well deserved attention to well paying customers and not bother with cheap people til i have the time...you'll get your service, trust me, i want your table for well paying customers, but youre getting nothing but 10% service cuz i know from past experience that you are cheap. i don't have entitlement issues i expect to be paid accordingly for services rendered.  Yet again i will say that the point of this post is not to say that you should tip 20% for bad service (intenional or not) it is to say that the point is give 20 % for good service. oh and you're right they are called tips for a reason and that reason being its an anacronym

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

Oh and the reason i don't get tipped well sometimes is not because my service is poor or my attitude is bad. Its because there are actual cheap assholes out there. Why does everyone have such a hard time believing this? cheap people exist and they suck. but maybe just maybe they are cheap because they just don't  know and this post may educate them so they can receive the good service they desire.....

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

If you treat your customers the way you are treating those in this post who do not agree with you I don't wonder why you don't get tipped well sometimes.  Seriously, I'm sure your boss would be very upset to hear you intentionally gave bad service to anybody.

I don't have a horrid attitude toward servers.  I have a problem with entitlement issues.  I tip according to service, not according to a percentage.  Why?  Because my family only drinks water and my two children split an adult meal.  Our total for a family of 4 is typically around $20 and I don't feel that $4 is enough (which is 20%).  If my kids make a mess then I will leave an even bigger tip (and at least wipe up what is on the table).  But if I EVER heard a server say that if they didn't receive that 20% they would give me bad service next time you'd better believe the manager would be hearing about it.  It's called a "tip" for a reason.

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

i have seen way too many cheap crappy customers who feel they deserve good service.

Quoting mommybug77:

I have seen way to many crapper servers who feel theory deserve good tips.

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

God is this still going on...

I still see the side of the server feeling they deserve a good tip for good service, but this statement showed your personal real value. 

Tip or no tip you are not waiting on tables for FREE, you get a wage.  Whether that wage is minimum wage or $2, it's still a wage period.  If you're feeling angry for being FORCED to wait on customers who don't tip to your approval then you need to take that up with your boss - THEY require you to do your JOB!  Once again...tips are EXTRA - it's not "part of the deal".  A poor family has the right to eat out and enjoy life every now and then just as much as a rich asshole who blows money on fine dining every night.  So if their night out interferes with your self righteous attitude about your 20% tip, you're just going to have to SUCK IT UP and serve them anyway.  And if you have a shitty fucking attitude about it then don't be surprised when a customer complains about you to your manager.  It doesn't get any simpler than that. 

Good luck to you :)

Quoting chiquitamama80:

actually it is pretty shitty to force a server to wait on you for free (basically stealing out of their pocket) just because you want to have a nice night out. part of the experience of eating in a resteraunt is being waited on and you are expected to pay for that service. if you can barely scrape enough money together for a meal out but don't have enough to tip then you probably shouldn't be spending that money in the first place. and if you do feel that you can afford to spend that money on a meal but don't have money for a tip then get takeout and eat at home where you don't have to leave a tip. I stand by what i said..if you don't have enough money to tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. thats part of the deal. stealing is really not cool and that's exactly what you are doing if you are not leaving an appropriate tip for services rendered. find a different way to treat your family once a month or factor the 20% into your budget.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

You can't change how much people want to tip, or how much they CAN tip.  It is what it is.  For instance if a less than fortunate family scrapes up enough money to take their kids out to eat once a month (and there are many people who struggle to make even that small of a thing happen) and they end up only having a couple or a few dollars left to tip their server that doesn't mean they're shitty people or that they choose to be a shitty tipper - it might be all they have.  Their goal and priority is to have a nice night out with their family, to treat their kids, etc...everyone deserves that - not to fatten their server's pocket for the night.  

Quoting chiquitamama80:

But the thing is that sometimes you can change shitty tippers because they are shitty tippers simply for the fact that they don't know any better. Maybe there's some sweet gal out there bumbling along tippin 10% cuz she doesn't know. maybe she will stumble upon this post and realize that maybe she should bump that up a little. Maybe she'll start experiencing what its like to be waited on by a truly amazing server. that may just add that much happiness to her short and fleeting life. you can't tell me i don't have the power to change someone's mind..maybe i already have. and if that is true then i consider this post a  success.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

NO server is going to openly admit they suck.  It's ALWAYS going to be the customer's fault in the server's eyes.  That is human nature.  MAYBE you're a fantastic waitress or MAYBE you think higher of your service than what is actually there - but regardless you can't demand a good/20% tip from every single customer because YOU feel like YOU deserve it.  And if you don't get it then that customer is on your shit list and you'll wait on them when and how you want to in the future.  That is not being professional, that is NOT doing your job the best you can.  There might be several circumstances that don't allow people to tip to suit your needs, but that doesn't mean they should fuck off and stay home because of it.

On the flip, I can totally see both sides to this.  Some customers are just shitty or at the least shitty tippers plain and simple.  But you can't change them, you can't refuse to help them and you still have a job to do anyway.  And unfortunately your job is to be pleasant wonderful and helpful no matter what.  But again...there are tons of awesome customers out there that go above and beyond and tip WAY more than they should probably.  Those customers make the shitty ones tolerable.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Of course you would go running to the manager if you ever heard a server saying they would give you bad service the next time cuz you din't leave them a decent tip. why do you think im talking about it here? because i can't say shit to cheap assclowns to their face! all i can do is give my well deserved attention to well paying customers and not bother with cheap people til i have the time...you'll get your service, trust me, i want your table for well paying customers, but youre getting nothing but 10% service cuz i know from past experience that you are cheap. i don't have entitlement issues i expect to be paid accordingly for services rendered.  Yet again i will say that the point of this post is not to say that you should tip 20% for bad service (intenional or not) it is to say that the point is give 20 % for good service. oh and you're right they are called tips for a reason and that reason being its an anacronym

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

Oh and the reason i don't get tipped well sometimes is not because my service is poor or my attitude is bad. Its because there are actual cheap assholes out there. Why does everyone have such a hard time believing this? cheap people exist and they suck. but maybe just maybe they are cheap because they just don't  know and this post may educate them so they can receive the good service they desire.....

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

If you treat your customers the way you are treating those in this post who do not agree with you I don't wonder why you don't get tipped well sometimes.  Seriously, I'm sure your boss would be very upset to hear you intentionally gave bad service to anybody.

I don't have a horrid attitude toward servers.  I have a problem with entitlement issues.  I tip according to service, not according to a percentage.  Why?  Because my family only drinks water and my two children split an adult meal.  Our total for a family of 4 is typically around $20 and I don't feel that $4 is enough (which is 20%).  If my kids make a mess then I will leave an even bigger tip (and at least wipe up what is on the table).  But if I EVER heard a server say that if they didn't receive that 20% they would give me bad service next time you'd better believe the manager would be hearing about it.  It's called a "tip" for a reason.

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

hmmm, i feel like i deserve a brand new flat screen just like that rich asshole who has one in every room in his house but i don't have the money for it. guess ill just go take it from sears since i deserve it just as much as the rich ass who paid for it. JEEEEEZ sweetremix just leave a decent fucking tip and people like me will stop complaining. why do you feel the need to defend cheap jerks? 

Quoting MySweetRemix:

I still see the side of the server feeling they deserve a good tip for good service, but this statement showed your personal real value. 

Tip or no tip you are not waiting on tables for FREE, you get a wage.  Whether that wage is minimum wage or $2, it's still a wage period.  If you're feeling angry for being FORCED to wait on customers who don't tip to your approval then you need to take that up with your boss - THEY require you to do your JOB!  Once again...tips are EXTRA - it's not "part of the deal".  A poor family has the right to eat out and enjoy life every now and then just as much as a rich asshole who blows money on fine dining every night.  So if their night out interferes with your self righteous attitude about your 20% tip, you're just going to have to SUCK IT UP and serve them anyway.  And if you have a shitty fucking attitude about it then don't be surprised when a customer complains about you to your manager.  It doesn't get any simpler than that. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

lol, now you're grasping - not the same thing, not even close

I am not defending cheap jerks, I'm pointing out to you not all non-tippers or bad tippers are cheap jerks, that's your perception.  Your problem seems to be your attitude towards what you THINK you deserve all the time from every customer no matter what.  It just doesn't happen that way, so why not just stop complaining?  You said before you get good tips and you do well for yourself ....so, what's the problem?

Quoting chiquitamama80:

hmmm, i feel like i deserve a brand new flat screen just like that rich asshole who has one in every room in his house but i don't have the money for it. guess ill just go take it from sears since i deserve it just as much as the rich ass who paid for it. JEEEEEZ sweetremix just leave a decent fucking tip and people like me will stop complaining. why do you feel the need to defend cheap jerks? 

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Ijole, sweet remix that wasn't grasping and stealing is stealing. its the exact same thing. but im not a bit surprised that you don't get it. and the whole point of the post was to let people that don't know that 20% is a normal tip. obviously i realize that some people won't give that. but maybe some people just don't know. k? leave a decent tip.

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

still nope, not stealing.  if they leave without paying for their meal, then that's stealing.  i used to wait tables...so don't assume i don't know what a job like that entails. good luck getting 20% from every customer.  hope that starts working out for ya. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Ijole, sweet remix that wasn't grasping and stealing is stealing. its the exact same thing. but im not a bit surprised that you don't get it. and the whole point of the post was to let people that don't know that 20% is a normal tip. obviously i realize that some people won't give that. but maybe some people just don't know. k? leave a decent tip.

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

you waited tables in lemme guess, ca? i am so not surprised that you don't get it. if i wait on you and you dont tip me then i have to pay money out of my pocket to cover the taxes on the tip the government assumes that i am getting from you. if i have to pay out of my pocket to wait on you then yeah, i consider that stealing. don't be cheap. stealing is wrong.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

still nope, not stealing.  if they leave without paying for their meal, then that's stealing.  i used to wait tables...so don't assume i don't know what a job like that entails. good luck getting 20% from every customer.  hope that starts working out for ya. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

how the hell is a customer not leaving you a tip stealing?  no one "assumes" you're getting tips.  And no, I made 2 something an hour when i waited tables. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

you waited tables in lemme guess, ca? i am so not surprised that you don't get it. if i wait on you and you dont tip me then i have to pay money out of my pocket to cover the taxes on the tip the government assumes that i am getting from you. if i have to pay out of my pocket to wait on you then yeah, i consider that stealing. don't be cheap. stealing is wrong.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)