Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

God knows when you don't tip...

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Replies (161-170):
surromama
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I always tip, but ummmm, most clipper cuts take 30 mins? Is that for the whole body?

Quoting shamroc374:

Most haircuts take at least an hour, if it is a good haircut. A stylist can only take so many clients a day. A color can take 2-3 hours, and that is just for a single process color. Stylist who are doing well work hard, and spend a large amount of money to take classes to learn the current trends and techniques. If they don't take the classes they cannot learn about changes to products or chemical services. Classes are very expensive. An updo takes a large amount of time and the cost does not normally cover the amount of time and work put into it. A haircut that is done in 30 minutes does not include a consultation, shampoo, or blow dry. Most men's clipper cuts take 30 minutes, a women's cut takes much longer. Stylist make good money if they have clients that tip well. The stylist that owns her own shop probably does very well from the money she makes from the people that booth rent from her. The booth renters only get to take home what is left after they pay the $200 booth rent a week, and pay for the color, products, and tools they purchase to do their job.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Seems odd. Or maybe it's just my area. Most hair dressers I know are doing well financially. One girl owns her own shop and takes about 4 vacations a year. She's a single mom as well, so it's not like she has a husband or boyfriend to depend on. My hair dresser in particular is in the process of building a house (not a small one, either). 

The way I see it, if hair dressers charge $18.00 per haircut and do at least 2 an hour, that's $36.00 an hour. If they work 7 hours, that's $252.00 per day. Multiply that times 5 days a week and you get $1260.00 per week. That's over $5,000.00 a month. And that's JUST hair cuts. That's not including waxes, highlights, perms and updo's which cost the hair dresser next to nothing to do besides a little hairspray and some bobby pins. And if they are lucky enough to own their own shop and rent booths that's an average of $200.00 a month per booth. 

That's more than my husband makes in a month. So no, I don't think they need a tip. 

Quoting shamroc374:

Most hairdressers only make 25% of what you pay if even that much. You are technically paying for the building, power, water, products, classes, license fees, classes to stay up to date, their equiptment. All the jobs you mentioned that you didn't get tipped for did not cost you to go to work. Hair stylist have to pay for everything just to be able to do your hair.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

I agree with the statement in red. Well I actually agree with everything you said. I hate people acting like tips are required. If they were, we'd be getting billed for it just like we get billed for our food. I mean, these days everyone has a damn tip jar out. The barista at Starbucks, the cashier at the deli I have my breakfast at. I still don't understand why hair dressers get tipped. If I'm paying you for doing a service then what the hell should I tip you for?

I've worked as a housekeeper, cashier at Wal Mart, Medical Assistant at doctor's offices and I delivered Meals on Wheels. Not once did I ever think I deserved a tip for my services. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
surromama
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Yes they do. I was going to point that out too.

Quoting Crisd77:

In California the servers get at least minimum wage.

Quoting Childofares:

People keep saying "salary" like what a server gets could even be considered such. 2 dollars and something an hour is not a salary. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
surromama
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM
They may get taxed more on the hourly wage, but nobody really knows what a server makes except the server. They have to claim that 8%, but who's to say what % they actually made. Let's say over the year they actually made 15%, but only claimed the 8%. I personally think its a horrible job, never knowing what your going to make, no matter where you live.

Quoting Childofares:

That is true but they are also taxed at a higher rate because the government takes into account tips than someone who makes 8 bucks an hour without tips. As far as I know, CA and NV are the only states that pay min wage to servers (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so again, Servers in most of the US don't get paid a fair living wage without tips. Even 8 bucks an hour in California is dismal. My rent was 1300 a month for the 2 years I lived there. I wouldn't have survived on 8 bucks an hour!

Quoting Crisd77:

In California the servers get at least minimum wage.

Quoting Childofares:

People keep saying "salary" like what a server gets could even be considered such. 2 dollars and something an hour is not a salary. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
surromama
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
I wish they would just do away with tipping. My husband was a server in Ca so I know how it works. The unknown pay on a daily basis sucks.
I hate going to dinner with my stepmother. She will always complain about something, just to get it off her bill. She also gives horrible tips even for outstanding service. I always excuse myself to go to the restroom and find the server and give them money. I tell them not to say anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
froggynow3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Sadly yes that is still the golden rule when it comes to customer service.  Without happy customers, those in the 'customer service' industry would not have employment.  It's a vicious circle.  I deal with customers daily in a different way and I have to remain professional and polite and do my job even if they're being a jerk and even if they're wrong they're still "right" in a sense.  Because if my company wants to keep their business, then it's part of my job to keep them happy.  I agree some days it sucks. 

Giving an already intoxicated person more alcohol isn't quite the same concept, when their judgement is impaired it's a different story.  That's not considered giving bad service, that's called doing your job.  

Quoting chiquitamama80:

The golden rule is not "the customer is always right" its "treat people the way you would like to be treated" as for the customer is always right, well that shit went out of style in the 50's. Should i give an intoxicated customer an alcoholic drink just cuz he's the customer and thats what he wants and he's always right? No sir. The only people who ever say that the customer is always right are customers who are assholes and cheapskates.

Quoting MySweetRemix: 

Guess you forget the golden rule that the customer is always right.  You should also never think too highly of yourself to think you're immune to getting reprimanded or even fired for poor customer service which you have admitted to giving more than once in this post.  Perhaps your employer needs to pay  more attention to your quality of work if that's your attitude.  If you're such a bad ass at your job you would never have a reason to even complain about tips.  Don't think there aren't 20 people waiting in line that can do your job.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Guess what "honey," i am neither a crappy or self centered waitress. i work in a very popular and world famous resteraunt. i am a kick ass server and bad ass bartender and this is because my customer service is stellar. i have many regulars who request my section nightly because they know they will receive exceptional service. you would not be able to make my job disappear for me ever because i am smarter than you and would not do anything to get myself fired. if you are a proven cheap skate leaving a bareminimum tip or less then you are going to get bare minimum service and i wouldn't get fired for that. so here's a tip for you..don't be cheap and you will get good service. remember the golden rule? it still applies.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Then I'd make it my personal goal to make your job disappear for you.  And that honey is something I'd certainly tell my friends :)  I'm not sure how much you realize word of mouth gets around and how easily it is to make your job less pleasant when everyone knows you're a crappy, self centered waitress. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

you're exactly right. i don't know what you're going to tip before you do it. thats why ill give you the same exceptional service that i give everyone else. i am not a slobbering moron and realize that i have to earn my tip. but if you leave me a shitty tip because you're cheap and trying to save a buck i will damn well know it. and i will also remember you the next time you come in and guess what, you're not getting the same exceptional service you got the last time. im not about to waste my time or my talents on people who dont tip accordingly. so your water refill is going to have to wait until im done waiting on people who deserve good service. and if you don't like that then don't come back. and tell your friends!

Quoting elzmnsf:

This is what I was going to say. How do you know what I'll tip before I do it? So am I getting dicked for service cause the guy in front of me gave you a shitty tip? And if I give you a bad tip, does the family behind me get even worse service? I sure as heck hope not! By the end of the night you'd wind up owing the restaurant money! So great service is required for great tipping, not vice versa. Or maybe you just assume based on looks alone whether a person is a goo tipper and base your service off of that... Bet you miss quite a few tips that way!

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Hmm, not true.  The tip is given AFTER service, so "you" as the server have no idea what will happen, tip or no tip.  A server has to give good service regardless of how their tipped IT IS THEIR JOB.  And if you are hired to do a job and don't, you run the risk of losing your job.  Plain and simple.

Quoting GreenTeaz:

let me reiterate that..."TIPPING IS A REQUIREMENT IF YOU WANT GOOD SERVICE" it's the truth, plain and simple.

Quoting chiquitamama80

Guess what..tipping is a requirement if you want good service. its part of the deal of going out you pay for the service. we don't go to work happily awaiting customers so we can bring you margaritas and enchiladas for our health. we perform a service for you and its only fair to pay for it. if ive no right to tell you what to do with your money, you certainly have no right to tell me what to be. i am very good at what i do and make a decent living doing it. My point wasn't to say that you should pay for bad service...its that you should tip appropriately for good service and if you leave 20% then good for you.

2boys9yrsapart
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Wow. I'm curious why people choose to be on wait staff. It's not a job I've ever done because I never had the attitude for it. But there are so many jobs where you can still deal with the public (if that's your thing) but make at least min wage. If that's the job chosen aren't the stakes known?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AphrexiaX
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a former server myself. I don't go out unless we can afford to tip. I will place what I will tip you on the table at the beginning of my meal, and I will add or subtract from it depending on the service I recieve. I speak up when service is bad. I can count on one hand how many times I have left no tip. And those times it was for a complete lack of service. When I have to flag down another waiter/waitress to get my drinks/meal/check then you will not be getting a tip. My DH and I generally try to go during the slower times just so there isn't the excuse of a swamped waitstaff. And my DH and I have also given a waitress a 200% tip on a large groups order because she was so fabulous. And it was at a restraunt that she didn't have to share her tips with anyone else. We checked with the management before tipping.

I worked hard for my tips and if I gave poor service I knew to expect a poor tip, I didn't expect a tip for just being there. Just my two cents. If you want good tips, provide good service, pay attention and don't ignore the table.

shamroc374
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM
No, it's for a a very well blended clipper cut, and a hot lather, straight razor shave for the back of the neck.

Quoting surromama:

I always tip, but ummmm, most clipper cuts take 30 mins? Is that for the whole body?

Quoting shamroc374:

Most haircuts take at least an hour, if it is a good haircut. A stylist can only take so many clients a day. A color can take 2-3 hours, and that is just for a single process color. Stylist who are doing well work hard, and spend a large amount of money to take classes to learn the current trends and techniques. If they don't take the classes they cannot learn about changes to products or chemical services. Classes are very expensive. An updo takes a large amount of time and the cost does not normally cover the amount of time and work put into it. A haircut that is done in 30 minutes does not include a consultation, shampoo, or blow dry. Most men's clipper cuts take 30 minutes, a women's cut takes much longer. Stylist make good money if they have clients that tip well. The stylist that owns her own shop probably does very well from the money she makes from the people that booth rent from her. The booth renters only get to take home what is left after they pay the $200 booth rent a week, and pay for the color, products, and tools they purchase to do their job.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Seems odd. Or maybe it's just my area. Most hair dressers I know are doing well financially. One girl owns her own shop and takes about 4 vacations a year. She's a single mom as well, so it's not like she has a husband or boyfriend to depend on. My hair dresser in particular is in the process of building a house (not a small one, either). 

The way I see it, if hair dressers charge $18.00 per haircut and do at least 2 an hour, that's $36.00 an hour. If they work 7 hours, that's $252.00 per day. Multiply that times 5 days a week and you get $1260.00 per week. That's over $5,000.00 a month. And that's JUST hair cuts. That's not including waxes, highlights, perms and updo's which cost the hair dresser next to nothing to do besides a little hairspray and some bobby pins. And if they are lucky enough to own their own shop and rent booths that's an average of $200.00 a month per booth. 

That's more than my husband makes in a month. So no, I don't think they need a tip. 

Quoting shamroc374:

Most hairdressers only make 25% of what you pay if even that much. You are technically paying for the building, power, water, products, classes, license fees, classes to stay up to date, their equiptment. All the jobs you mentioned that you didn't get tipped for did not cost you to go to work. Hair stylist have to pay for everything just to be able to do your hair.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

I agree with the statement in red. Well I actually agree with everything you said. I hate people acting like tips are required. If they were, we'd be getting billed for it just like we get billed for our food. I mean, these days everyone has a damn tip jar out. The barista at Starbucks, the cashier at the deli I have my breakfast at. I still don't understand why hair dressers get tipped. If I'm paying you for doing a service then what the hell should I tip you for?

I've worked as a housekeeper, cashier at Wal Mart, Medical Assistant at doctor's offices and I delivered Meals on Wheels. Not once did I ever think I deserved a tip for my services. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM
GOOD SERVICE is a REQUIREMENT if you want a tip. You keep getting it ass backward.

Quoting GreenTeaz:

"Tell your Friends!!!" exactly, TIPPING is a REQUIREMENT if you want good service! 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

you're exactly right. i don't know what you're going to tip before you do it. thats why ill give you the same exceptional service that i give everyone else. i am not a slobbering moron and realize that i have to earn my tip. but if you leave me a shitty tip because you're cheap and trying to save a buck i will damn well know it. and i will also remember you the next time you come in and guess what, you're not getting the same exceptional service you got the last time. im not about to waste my time or my talents on people who dont tip accordingly. so your water refill is going to have to wait until im done waiting on people who deserve good service. and if you don't like that then don't come back. and tell your friends!

Quoting elzmnsf:

This is what I was going to say. How do you know what I'll tip before I do it? So am I getting dicked for service cause the guy in front of me gave you a shitty tip? And if I give you a bad tip, does the family behind me get even worse service? I sure as heck hope not! By the end of the night you'd wind up owing the restaurant money! So great service is required for great tipping, not vice versa. Or maybe you just assume based on looks alone whether a person is a goo tipper and base your service off of that... Bet you miss quite a few tips that way!

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Hmm, not true.  The tip is given AFTER service, so "you" as the server have no idea what will happen, tip or no tip.  A server has to give good service regardless of how their tipped IT IS THEIR JOB.  And if you are hired to do a job and don't, you run the risk of losing your job.  Plain and simple.

Quoting GreenTeaz:

let me reiterate that..."TIPPING IS A REQUIREMENT IF YOU WANT GOOD SERVICE" it's the truth, plain and simple.

Quoting chiquitamama80

Guess what..tipping is a requirement if you want good service. its part of the deal of going out you pay for the service. we don't go to work happily awaiting customers so we can bring you margaritas and enchiladas for our health. we perform a service for you and its only fair to pay for it. if ive no right to tell you what to do with your money, you certainly have no right to tell me what to be. i am very good at what i do and make a decent living doing it. My point wasn't to say that you should pay for bad service...its that you should tip appropriately for good service and if you leave 20% then good for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)