Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

God knows when you don't tip...

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Replies (171-180):
GreenTeaz
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

GET IT NOW? TIPPING is a requirement for good SERVICE....well said Chicken. 

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I am going to chime in on the 'What came first, the good tip or the good service' debate.  Back when I waited tables, their were people that were known to every server as the assholes that never tipped. They would come in, live it up, be demading as possible, let their feral children run fucking wild, run up a bar tab over $200. Then ask to see the manager to praise how great the service was, only to not leave a fucking dime as a tip.   It got to the point that the manager would have to force a server to deal with them, and the server was usually chosen because they had done something wrong, like arrived late.  These assclowns came in twice a month, ensuring that not only would their server be down one table for at least two hours, but that thanks to their wild as fuck kids, and their loud ass trash bag antics, no one in the restaraunt while they were there would have a good time.  

These people never tipped, even though they were always given incredible service.  Not only did they stiff their servers, but they also stole money, buy running up a bill that high, and not leaving a tip, and also by forcing that server to be down a profitable table for more than two hours.   I personally had to wait on these people twice. First time as a hazing thing, and the second time because they asked for me by name, because their kids thought I had the coolest ties.  When the third chance came around, I told my manager that if I was forced to serve them, I would quit right then and there.  That was the night, after they stiffed yet another waiter, that the manager followed them out and told them if they were not going to pay their servers, they could no longer eat at this place.

Some people are just assholes, period.  This family is just one example. Thankfully, they were called on it.  But there are plenty of crappy customers that will never have a manager stand up to them.  Dionne Sanders is a goodf example. That guy is a terrible tipper, and has a reputation of even saying that waitstaff should pay him for the honor of serving him and his deranged, rude ass family. 

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I FUCKIN LOVE YOU.  Laughing Out Fucking Loud.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I am going to chime in on the 'What came first, the good tip or the good service' debate.  Back when I waited tables, their were people that were known to every server as the assholes that never tipped. They would come in, live it up, be demading as possible, let their feral children run fucking wild, run up a bar tab over $200. Then ask to see the manager to praise how great the service was, only to not leave a fucking dime as a tip.   It got to the point that the manager would have to force a server to deal with them, and the server was usually chosen because they had done something wrong, like arrived late.  These assclowns came in twice a month, ensuring that not only would their server be down one table for at least two hours, but that thanks to their wild as fuck kids, and their loud ass trash bag antics, no one in the restaraunt while they were there would have a good time.  

These people never tipped, even though they were always given incredible service.  Not only did they stiff their servers, but they also stole money, buy running up a bill that high, and not leaving a tip, and also by forcing that server to be down a profitable table for more than two hours.   I personally had to wait on these people twice. First time as a hazing thing, and the second time because they asked for me by name, because their kids thought I had the coolest ties.  When the third chance came around, I told my manager that if I was forced to serve them, I would quit right then and there.  That was the night, after they stiffed yet another waiter, that the manager followed them out and told them if they were not going to pay their servers, they could no longer eat at this place.

Some people are just assholes, period.  This family is just one example. Thankfully, they were called on it.  But there are plenty of crappy customers that will never have a manager stand up to them.  Dionne Sanders is a goodf example. That guy is a terrible tipper, and has a reputation of even saying that waitstaff should pay him for the honor of serving him and his deranged, rude ass family. 

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Of course you would go running to the manager if you ever heard a server saying they would give you bad service the next time cuz you din't leave them a decent tip. why do you think im talking about it here? because i can't say shit to cheap assclowns to their face! all i can do is give my well deserved attention to well paying customers and not bother with cheap people til i have the time...you'll get your service, trust me, i want your table for well paying customers, but youre getting nothing but 10% service cuz i know from past experience that you are cheap. i don't have entitlement issues i expect to be paid accordingly for services rendered.  Yet again i will say that the point of this post is not to say that you should tip 20% for bad service (intenional or not) it is to say that the point is give 20 % for good service. oh and you're right they are called tips for a reason and that reason being its an acronym

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

Oh and the reason i don't get tipped well sometimes is not because my service is poor or my attitude is bad. Its because there are actual cheap assholes out there. Why does everyone have such a hard time believing this? cheap people exist and they suck. but maybe just maybe they are cheap because they just don't  know and this post may educate them so they can receive the good service they desire.....

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

If you treat your customers the way you are treating those in this post who do not agree with you I don't wonder why you don't get tipped well sometimes.  Seriously, I'm sure your boss would be very upset to hear you intentionally gave bad service to anybody.

I don't have a horrid attitude toward servers.  I have a problem with entitlement issues.  I tip according to service, not according to a percentage.  Why?  Because my family only drinks water and my two children split an adult meal.  Our total for a family of 4 is typically around $20 and I don't feel that $4 is enough (which is 20%).  If my kids make a mess then I will leave an even bigger tip (and at least wipe up what is on the table).  But if I EVER heard a server say that if they didn't receive that 20% they would give me bad service next time you'd better believe the manager would be hearing about it.  It's called a "tip" for a reason.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Google can kiss my ass. 20% is a standard tip. and yeah i would suggest staying home with your horrid attitude towards servers because if you treat them the way you've been treating me then you have probably eaten some spit in your day. and btw i have never ever spit in or messed with anyone's food. only given bad service to bad customers.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Actually if you google it standard for good service is 15%.  20% for exceptional service.  But you seem to fail to realize that.  I'm just going to avoid eating out altogether because of this attitude.  Seriously, I shouldn't have to worry about what may be done to my food if I don't have the money for the tip.  That is just unprofessional and childish.  I want nothing to do with it.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

I am the moron? Did you read what i wrote before your brain had diarrhea all over my post? There is not one single place in this entire post where I have said that you should tip for bad service. My point was and is that an average tip for good service nowadays is 20%.  I conceeded your point that i do not know how you are going to tip before ive waited on you. unless i have waited on you before and you have proven your "big ass" to be cheap in which  case your service is not going to be as exceptional as it was the first time around. You know absolutely nothing of the quality of my service which happens to be exceptional, and i make a pretty decent living doing what i do...i am as a single mother able to pay my $1200 a month rent and have $ left over to do fun things with my kids. You on the other hand would obviously never be able to survive doing what i do.  so since i am an "asshole" here are my parting words to you..... SUCK IT!!!!

Quoting elzmnsf: 

You are a friggen moron and no wonder that after 20 years you still get shit for tips. I tip, and I tip good. But if I have to wait 20 minutes for a refill, and I watch you giggle giggle with your little friends the whole time, and avoid my table blatantly, then you can kiss my big ass. I will leave a 20 dollar tip at a buffet. I will tip 10 bucks on a 20 tab at a diner for me and hubs at breakfast. I do not go out not expecting to tip, that is figured into my budget! But you being an asshole, which you have said you enjoy being many times on this post, isn't getting you a nice tip! Perhaps you are past your prime? I simply asked, since YOU SAID, that you must tip for good service to happen, how you know when to give good service? How do YOU KNOW that I won't tip? Because I will... So YOU have to DO YOUR JOB before I give you a good tip.... Are you really this blind and stupid ? Or are you just the shittiest server ever and don't get it? If you provide a good service, and I can wait a bit for a refill, not a half hour while you chat up your friends but a good 10-15 minutes, if you are busy, then I will tip you well. But if I ask for water and I watch you screw around with your little friends for a while and have no beverage, then kiss my ass! I don't expect to stand at a retail counter for 30 mins while chick flirts, my kid shouldn't sit at school while teacher hangs for 30 mins, why should I tip you for taking a break?!?! You are straight loo loo!

Quoting chiquitamama80:

you're exactly right. i don't know what you're going to tip before you do it. thats why ill give you the same exceptional service that i give everyone else. i am not a slobbering moron and realize that i have to earn my tip. but if you leave me a shitty tip because you're cheap and trying to save a buck i will damn well know it. and i will also remember you the next time you come in and guess what, you're not getting the same exceptional service you got the last time. im not about to waste my time or my talents on people who dont tip accordingly. so your water refill is going to have to wait until im done waiting on people who deserve good service. and if you don't like that then don't come back. and tell your friends!

Quoting elzmnsf:

This is what I was going to say. How do you know what I'll tip before I do it? So am I getting dicked for service cause the guy in front of me gave you a shitty tip? And if I give you a bad tip, does the family behind me get even worse service? I sure as heck hope not! By the end of the night you'd wind up owing the restaurant money! So great service is required for great tipping, not vice versa. Or maybe you just assume based on looks alone whether a person is a goo tipper and base your service off of that... Bet you miss quite a few tips that way!

Quoting MySweetRemix:

Hmm, not true.  The tip is given AFTER service, so "you" as the server have no idea what will happen, tip or no tip.  A server has to give good service regardless of how their tipped IT IS THEIR JOB.  And if you are hired to do a job and don't, you run the risk of losing your job.  Plain and simple.

Quoting GreenTeaz:

let me reiterate that..."TIPPING IS A REQUIREMENT IF YOU WANT GOOD SERVICE" it's the truth, plain and simple.

Quoting chiquitamama80

Guess what..tipping is a requirement if you want good service. its part of the deal of going out you pay for the service. we don't go to work happily awaiting customers so we can bring you margaritas and enchiladas for our health. we perform a service for you and its only fair to pay for it. if ive no right to tell you what to do with your money, you certainly have no right to tell me what to be. i am very good at what i do and make a decent living doing it. My point wasn't to say that you should pay for bad service...its that you should tip appropriately for good service and if you leave 20% then good for you.

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

was this manager also the owner of the establishment?  I'm curious how they got by with telling this customer they could no longer return....

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

gcecelie
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I leave 15% for lunch, 20% for dinner, and if you were great then you can get up to like 50%.

Sometimes I don't leave a tip but that is because something went drasticaly wrong. For example when I went to the Olive Garden and asked the waitress if there is a change with the bowl of salad if one of us orders a soup. The answer is "The bowl gets smaller." Her response? "SOUP OR SALAD!!!!" She must have yelled it at me 3 times.

Or the guy that threw my food on the table. We just left.

Or when the hostess told us we can enjoy our subway while the other people ordered from the menu at Applebees. After everyone is digging in our waitress comes out and yells at us. Not explain, yell. We tell her the hostess said it was ok and it didn't help. Instead of going, "well, alright this time but its not ok in the future." instead she gets her manager who rolls his eyes, sucks his teeth, and does nothing to calm the situation.

Sorry for ranting, but sometimes no tips are deserved.

Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Not the owner, but he did explain to coperate the next day that we had had an ongoing problem with this family, and that now invested employees were threatening to quit if forced to deal with them.  They agrred with him, and actually commented that the issue should have been addressed before it got that bad.

Most businesses maintain the right to refuse service. While he told them that that night, he did not have to enforce it until the next time they showed up, which by then he had corperate's okay.  The family could have tried to raise a stink with the media if they had wanted to, but I imagine they realized that they would have had to deal with the backlash of the waitstaff telling the real story.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

was this manager also the owner of the establishment?  I'm curious how they got by with telling this customer they could no longer return....

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I've no problem tipping my support staff..i tip them well and they work very hard for me. Their hard work is part of the reason that i am able to give great service and i make no bones about compensating them for what they do. The only reason i mentioned it is because most places do make you tip out support staff, and i felt that maybe most people don't realize it.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

If you have to do tip share, I suggest finding a new place to work. When I waited tables, I would not work in places that forced that, because I found that it tended to create lazy busboys and bartenders, when they knew they did not have to earn their tip.

momma0ffive
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I only tip 10%
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I am all for tipping the support staff too, but I do not like the places that force you to tip them.  Every place i worked like that had the laziest support staff, because they knew that no matter what, they were gonna get a cut.  Where as the places that it was not madatory, the support staff works harder to help you if they know you will take care of them as well.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

I've no problem tipping my support staff..i tip them well and they work very hard for me. Their hard work is part of the reason that i am able to give great service and i make no bones about compensating them for what they do. The only reason i mentioned it is because most places do make you tip out support staff, and i felt that maybe most people don't realize it.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

If you have to do tip share, I suggest finding a new place to work. When I waited tables, I would not work in places that forced that, because I found that it tended to create lazy busboys and bartenders, when they knew they did not have to earn their tip.

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I did know this..have known for years and years and thought other people knew it too. Obviously they dont...

Quoting sakpoints:

I do generally tip 20% or more. But just out of curiousity did you know TIPS is actually an acronym??? 

To Insure Prompt Service.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN