Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

God knows when you don't tip...

Cheap people suck! Come on ladies! you all know that less than 20% is just not cool! Having been in the service industry for almost 20 years it still surprises me daily that people do not  know this. Just today i saw an Oprah rerun where she proclaimed that 10% is acceptable. NOT!!!!! BAD OPRAH!!! maybe you don't realize this but that server that just waited on you does not get to keep the entire tip that you just gave them, most have to tip bartenders, bussers and hostesses up to 40% of their tips. please take consideration. If you are unhappy with your service or your meal or whatever please let your server know. most of us will do what we can to make sure you leave happy! and please know that if  you leave without tipping we have to claim a percentage of your bill on our taxes, so if you leave without tipping, we have to pay out of our pockets to wait on you.  please, if you don't have enough money to leave a 20% tip then you don't have enough money to eat out. Tell your husbands!!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Replies (191-200):
chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Ha! I can't believe you're the only person who has mentioned Oprah this whole time... I laugh aloud :)

Quoting Mommy4000:

Oprah only tips 10%? No wonder that bitch is rich.

michelleinfl
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I agree with this. Personally I don't really care what you or Oprah say is an acceptable amount to tip. I tip what I feel appropriate. I think it is pretty gutsy of you to say people should not go out to eat if they can't pay a 20% tip. Tips are not mandatory!

Quoting the3Rs:

Tipping is NOT a requirement.  It is a bonus.  You have to EARN your bonus.  Don't like it?  Don't be a waitress.  You have no right to tell me what I can or can't do with MY hard earned money.  You have no right to tell others whether or not they should go out to eat.

Having said that, I actually DO tip 20% - IF I felt the service warranted it.  There have only been 2 or 3 times that the service did NOT warrant it.  One of those times I didn't tip at all, and the other two I tipped very little.  That is my RIGHT as a patron...to tip what they deserved - and yes I did complain.

The whole tone of the OP is that of a self-entitled A** and with that attitude I'm not surprised they're not getting tips.

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It is immature and unprofessional to mess with someones food just beccause they are an asshole, and i have never done such a thing, i just know for a fact that it happens. it was just a warning to not be an asshole to people you don't know especially if they are handling your food, because you have no idea how psycho, spiteful, vengeful, unhinged, or crazy your server might be. ive never done it..i was just a warning

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I was with you until I read the first comment about not pissing off the people that handle the food. That is the most immature and unprofessional attitude. If your a good server I will tip accordingly. If the service sucks that will be reflected on the tip. 

vegepunkstr
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Actually when I googled it snopes says that is not where the word tips came from. That is just what people turned it into

Quoting chiquitamama80:

I did know this..have known for years and years and thought other people knew it too. Obviously they dont...

Quoting sakpoints:

I do generally tip 20% or more. But just out of curiousity did you know TIPS is actually an acronym??? 

To Insure Prompt Service.

vegepunkstr. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

That kind of warning is not necessary and a server with that attitude is likely a shitty server to begin with. How exactly would someone know prior to serving me that I was or was not going to tip? When I go out I tip well and I expect good service for it. If my service is crappy then the tip is not going to be good and if the service is really horrible then I'm going to speak to management and there won't be a tip. And furthermore if you know that there are servers messing with peoples food and you don't report it to management then that wouldn't say much about your character. 

Quoting chiquitamama80:

It is immature and unprofessional to mess with someones food just beccause they are an asshole, and i have never done such a thing, i just know for a fact that it happens. it was just a warning to not be an asshole to people you don't know especially if they are handling your food, because you have no idea how psycho, spiteful, vengeful, unhinged, or crazy your server might be. ive never done it..i was just a warning

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I was with you until I read the first comment about not pissing off the people that handle the food. That is the most immature and unprofessional attitude. If your a good server I will tip accordingly. If the service sucks that will be reflected on the tip. 

chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

maybe so...still the truth

Quoting vegepunkstr:

Actually when I googled it snopes says that is not where the word tips came from. That is just what people turned it into

Quoting chiquitamama80:

I did know this..have known for years and years and thought other people knew it too. Obviously they dont...

Quoting sakpoints:

I do generally tip 20% or more. But just out of curiousity did you know TIPS is actually an acronym??? 

To Insure Prompt Service.

MySweetRemix
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

You can't change how much people want to tip, or how much they CAN tip.  It is what it is.  For instance if a less than fortunate family scrapes up enough money to take their kids out to eat once a month (and there are many people who struggle to make even that small of a thing happen) and they end up only having a couple or a few dollars left to tip their server that doesn't mean they're shitty people or that they choose to be a shitty tipper - it might be all they have.  Their goal and priority is to have a nice night out with their family, to treat their kids, etc...everyone deserves that - not to fatten their server's pocket for the night.  

Quoting chiquitamama80:

But the thing is that sometimes you can change shitty tippers because they are shitty tippers simply for the fact that they don't know any better. Maybe there's some sweet gal out there bumbling along tippin 10% cuz she doesn't know. maybe she will stumble upon this post and realize that maybe she should bump that up a little. Maybe she'll start experiencing what its like to be waited on by a truly amazing server. that may just add that much happiness to her short and fleeting life. you can't tell me i don't have the power to change someone's mind..maybe i already have. and if that is true then i consider this post a  success.

Quoting MySweetRemix:

NO server is going to openly admit they suck.  It's ALWAYS going to be the customer's fault in the server's eyes.  That is human nature.  MAYBE you're a fantastic waitress or MAYBE you think higher of your service than what is actually there - but regardless you can't demand a good/20% tip from every single customer because YOU feel like YOU deserve it.  And if you don't get it then that customer is on your shit list and you'll wait on them when and how you want to in the future.  That is not being professional, that is NOT doing your job the best you can.  There might be several circumstances that don't allow people to tip to suit your needs, but that doesn't mean they should fuck off and stay home because of it.

On the flip, I can totally see both sides to this.  Some customers are just shitty or at the least shitty tippers plain and simple.  But you can't change them, you can't refuse to help them and you still have a job to do anyway.  And unfortunately your job is to be pleasant wonderful and helpful no matter what.  But again...there are tons of awesome customers out there that go above and beyond and tip WAY more than they should probably.  Those customers make the shitty ones tolerable.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

Of course you would go running to the manager if you ever heard a server saying they would give you bad service the next time cuz you din't leave them a decent tip. why do you think im talking about it here? because i can't say shit to cheap assclowns to their face! all i can do is give my well deserved attention to well paying customers and not bother with cheap people til i have the time...you'll get your service, trust me, i want your table for well paying customers, but youre getting nothing but 10% service cuz i know from past experience that you are cheap. i don't have entitlement issues i expect to be paid accordingly for services rendered.  Yet again i will say that the point of this post is not to say that you should tip 20% for bad service (intenional or not) it is to say that the point is give 20 % for good service. oh and you're right they are called tips for a reason and that reason being its an anacronym

To

Insure

Prompt 

Service

google it.

Oh and the reason i don't get tipped well sometimes is not because my service is poor or my attitude is bad. Its because there are actual cheap assholes out there. Why does everyone have such a hard time believing this? cheap people exist and they suck. but maybe just maybe they are cheap because they just don't  know and this post may educate them so they can receive the good service they desire.....

20%!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

If you treat your customers the way you are treating those in this post who do not agree with you I don't wonder why you don't get tipped well sometimes.  Seriously, I'm sure your boss would be very upset to hear you intentionally gave bad service to anybody.

I don't have a horrid attitude toward servers.  I have a problem with entitlement issues.  I tip according to service, not according to a percentage.  Why?  Because my family only drinks water and my two children split an adult meal.  Our total for a family of 4 is typically around $20 and I don't feel that $4 is enough (which is 20%).  If my kids make a mess then I will leave an even bigger tip (and at least wipe up what is on the table).  But if I EVER heard a server say that if they didn't receive that 20% they would give me bad service next time you'd better believe the manager would be hearing about it.  It's called a "tip" for a reason.

LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Oh FFS, if you want people to overlook your temper tantrum in your OP and wsnt to claim now you were only talking about customers who do not tip well for GOOD service, EDIT your damned OP and addthat disclaimer in. Because no, hun, your OP does NOT in any way make it appear you are okay with shit tips for shit service.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

being a nurse is not a tipped profession and im pretty sure you make more that 2$ an hour so don't complain to me about not getting tips. If you want tips then maybe you should change professions. And im gonna say this one more time. the point of this post is not to say that you should tip well for bad service, only that 20% is standard for good service. thats $8 for a $40 check, $12 for a $60 and so on... and changing professions after 20 years is a lot easier said than done. if you got tired of wiping asses tomorrow do you think you could up and get a new job that would support you and your family, the next day or even in the next month or year? I seriously doubt it...

Quoting ajrjj05:

we don't eat out local, we don't have much in our small town, friendlys! yup that about sums it up. I do tip good though when in my area or the next town over. But if I am out of town I could care less.One time I left a waitress a $1 tip at Ihop... but in all honesty she deserved it, in fact she didn't even deserve that. She was just down right nasty. There were 4 adults, three kids, she missed two meals for the adults, told me there wasn't any fruit outback so I can give to my one year old (I was willing to pay extra), but when my son got his pancakes it had canatlope and strawberries on it.. but NO fruit huh?!. She didn't bring us our drinks, oh wait and when she did she spilled milk on my father in law and we had a hour and half drive home :( yup that was one of the worst tips I left. Another was at the 99 where we had horiable service that girl didn't get a tip at all.. Instead a note on a napkin telling her why! I wipe ass for a living NO ONE tips me!! So if they don't like it get a new job!! Just for the record I have been nice too, like $15 tips for $25 orders on great service!

Quoting chiquitamama80:

You also probably don't receive good service in resteraunts that you frequent. and if you did receive good service then i can guarantee that your server is cursing your cheapness as you leave...

Quoting ajrjj05:

I give $5 for a $40 meal that is just what I give you don't like it get a new job! $7 for a 60 meal, and $10 for the larger prices. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiquitamama80
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I never said anywhere in my op that you should give a good tip for shit service and it wasn't a temper tantrum  either ( well maybe the oprah part).  and btw the New York Post recently ran an article about how 20% is the new minimum tip as did the paper in my own home town, front page as a matter of fact. FFS leave a decent tip

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Oh FFS, if you want people to overlook your temper tantrum in your OP and wsnt to claim now you were only talking about customers who do not tip well for GOOD service, EDIT your damned OP and addthat disclaimer in. Because no, hun, your OP does NOT in any way make it appear you are okay with shit tips for shit service.

Quoting chiquitamama80:

being a nurse is not a tipped profession and im pretty sure you make more that 2$ an hour so don't complain to me about not getting tips. If you want tips then maybe you should change professions. And im gonna say this one more time. the point of this post is not to say that you should tip well for bad service, only that 20% is standard for good service. thats $8 for a $40 check, $12 for a $60 and so on... and changing professions after 20 years is a lot easier said than done. if you got tired of wiping asses tomorrow do you think you could up and get a new job that would support you and your family, the next day or even in the next month or year? I seriously doubt it...

Quoting ajrjj05:

we don't eat out local, we don't have much in our small town, friendlys! yup that about sums it up. I do tip good though when in my area or the next town over. But if I am out of town I could care less.One time I left a waitress a $1 tip at Ihop... but in all honesty she deserved it, in fact she didn't even deserve that. She was just down right nasty. There were 4 adults, three kids, she missed two meals for the adults, told me there wasn't any fruit outback so I can give to my one year old (I was willing to pay extra), but when my son got his pancakes it had canatlope and strawberries on it.. but NO fruit huh?!. She didn't bring us our drinks, oh wait and when she did she spilled milk on my father in law and we had a hour and half drive home :( yup that was one of the worst tips I left. Another was at the 99 where we had horiable service that girl didn't get a tip at all.. Instead a note on a napkin telling her why! I wipe ass for a living NO ONE tips me!! So if they don't like it get a new job!! Just for the record I have been nice too, like $15 tips for $25 orders on great service!

Quoting chiquitamama80:

You also probably don't receive good service in resteraunts that you frequent. and if you did receive good service then i can guarantee that your server is cursing your cheapness as you leave...

Quoting ajrjj05:

I give $5 for a $40 meal that is just what I give you don't like it get a new job! $7 for a 60 meal, and $10 for the larger prices. 

mommybug77
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I have seen way to many crapper servers who feel theory deserve good tips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)