Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What do people usually assume about you, that is wrong

Posted by   + Show Post

?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Replies (321-330):
Rooobeee
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

That I'm still a kid. I've always known I looked younger than I originally am, but some people are outrageous when it comes to my age. I will be 39 in a couple of days. People are still surprised that I have 3 teenagers (18, 14, and 12). But, here's some examples.

Three years ago, I was in OfficeMax asking about job applications. DH was with me. When I asked the manager for a job application, she asked "Are you over 18?" I said yes, and DH (the jerk) said "And then some."

Early this year, I took my kids to the optometrist. As I walked in with my daughter (who was 13 at the time and an inch taller than me), the doctor asked if I was her sister. I smiled and said no.

A few months ago, I took my daughters with me to the grocery store (which was right across the street from their school) after picking them up from school. I was the only one without a backpack. Because the store has been having problems with the influx of middle school students in their store after school, one of the workers told me "I'm sorry, but students are not allowed in here after school without a parent." I thanked him for the compliment and told him I was the mom. Never thought I could pass for 14. LOL

When I relayed that last story to one of my younger cousins this past summer, she told me that I did look like I was 19.

AlilKittyKat
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

People assume that i am stuck up, but i am actually far from it, I am super shy and have social anxiety so when I'm out i try to just do what i gotta do and get out.   

xxshelbyxxx
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
That I'm a weirdo, bad mom, pot smoker etc cuz Im a white girl with dreads, tattoos and a lip ring. but once people get to know me or even people just watching us from a distance at a park, store etc, realize how happy my son is and that's a given that I'm a good mom despite my hair.
barefootmommi
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM
That I fit the teen mom stereotype - I don't luckily I beat almost all the statistics. And that because I am a young mom I must need tons of " help" wrong just cuz I'm young doesnt mean I'm a bad mom.
tnnikkij
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Actually Christians are the minority in the US right now

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The only thing I can think of is that people assume I am a Christian, I guess because the majority in the US are so a lot of people just assume everybody around them is one too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnnikkij
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Will u please come help me with my DDs? :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

we all get mis-judged a LOT !  I am the best example of never judge a book by it's cover.

People I meet through work either assume I own the company I work for, or people who don't know me from work would never assume I am an executive for a multi million dollar company.  (I don't do the business suit attire, ever)

I have been told I come off rude / snob until they get to know me.

People would also never guess that I have major "martha stewart tendencies" like baking from scratch, themed birthday cakes, canning, arts & crafts, cooking up storms,  scrapbooking and frankly I'm really really good at it too.  I am anal retentive about my DD's birthday parties always trying to make them perfect and out-do them every year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnnikkij
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the assumptions are but I get the "look"
When I introduce my teenage son.
& usually "you don't look OLD enough to have a teenager!"
And I usually respond "I'm not, but I learned what caused that" when I'd love to say- well I kinda thought that was possible as soon as a girl starts their period. But hey what do I know?

When I went to pick him up from school one day a teacher asked me why I wasn't in class. I responded "um I graduated 17 years AGo?" Lol

I look a lot younger than I am & I get a lot of assumptions about that... But I guess when I'm 50, I'll love life! :)
Having blonde hair also gets one too many assumptions...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Care to share your sourcr for that? Everything I have seen shows Christians are 78%.

Quoting tnnikkij:

Actually Christians are the minority in the US right now

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The only thing I can think of is that people assume I am a Christian, I guess because the majority in the US are so a lot of people just assume everybody around them is one too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoplarGrove
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This

Quoting BrooklynsMom11:

That Im snooty because I dont talk much. Im just super shy.

Leeleeayati
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM
That am strong,unemotional,materialistic n independant. When actually am very emotional but keeps it locked up cus I bruise easily! And I love working for wht I want,but hate not having money! N I appear strong but need a hug n a shoulder to lean on most times cuz I realy don't wanna be strong! Lol! Do I make any sense??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)