Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Streamlining the morning routine, any advice?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM
  • 20 Replies

My mornings are complete mayhem! No matter how much I plan ahead to get out the door, something goes awry and I end up frustrated, late and ready to lose my mind! I pick out the kids clothes the night before, make lunches, bathtime always at night...when I get up I get them ready first thing, turn on a show they like, put dog out, get ready and then shoes and coats and bags...one kid has to go pee as we are heading out the door...or, forgot to put trash in basement stairwell so puppy does not strew it all around...so any of these happen and then we are behind! I have been talked to a few times at work for being 2-3 mins late pretty regularly.

Would love some ideas from any Moms who get up and out the door everyday in a somewhat orderly, on schedule way! Thanks

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv.my.kids.365
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you just need to give yourself 10 extra minutes.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Don't let them start watching tv until all chores are done (make a chore chart) including going pee?

We only have to be out the door on time 2 days/week but nothing extra happens until everything that needs to be done is done.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM

yep, wake earlier and no TV because it becomes distracting and slows them down even more. 

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Early on in my oldest's school career
, I nixed tv in the am.... It just slows them down. For my kids at least! Now every year I just figure out what needs to be done and how long it takes and add in zero extras. But ,
I am stay at home. There is a difference. Maybe you get up earlier and get you ready, then get them up and do x y z , including potty, straight back to back so they don't have that down time ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campbellalynn
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Thanks, trying that this morning!

Crisd77
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I have my son's clothes for the week stored in those weekly closet cubby holes thingy and have it prepared no later than Sunday night. I feed him and send my 5 year old upstairs to brush his teeth, pee, wash his face & hands and get himself dressed. He doesn't diddle daddle much because he knows if he does it all correctly he can play & watch his shows. His shower is done every night.
I would add for you to turn the clocks forward by 10 minutes & give yourself a decent deadline to get things done. Yeah, the dog can cause delays, weather & of course the last minute pee...but at least you would have a cushion.
This works for me now but due any minute with baby #2 and I'm expecting chaos for awhile!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAUNDRYAGAIN
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
just be calm. make a checklist for all the last minute stuff like peeing or oops my homework is on my desk down stairs. Set a timer for about 10 min before you leave and ask all those questions. but just stay calm your little ones feed off of your mood and that could be contributing to the chaos. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting luv.my.kids.365:

Sounds like you just need to give yourself 10 extra minutes.

Exactly what I was going to say :)

CafeMom Tickers
Shaken1976
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Everything should be ready the night before...  Find a different place for the trash can so the puppy doesnt get it or crate the puppy.  The kids should be completely ready to go before the tv goes on ...if it goes on at all. 

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

well, your doing great you sound like you have gotten a lot of things figured out many of my planing goes the night before.. but something that you may consider is getting up earlier so you have time to factor some of these issues in.. like with the dog feed that guy out side if he has bathroom issues and the pee thing maybe that would be something they do right when they get up that way its over and not an issues as your walking out the door.. however the problem is that you cant factor in every thing life is life sometimes and there not such things as perfect.. also understand you can only control so much one is you and your reaction so my suggestion would be find a happy place and try not to get frustrated take it all in stride and understand its just a part of the way things go sometimes.. i think it helps a lot to not react to things sometimes i mean address the issue but not get all crazy about it...good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)